HANOVER, N.H. - A goal by captain Jack Korzelius with 1.9 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter lifted the Dartmouth men's lacrosse team over Canisius, 13-12, in the Big Green's season opener at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday.

After falling to the Golden Griffins in the first-ever meeting between the two teams to start the 2017 campaign, Dartmouth has now evened the all-time series record with its victory.

Korzelius ended the afternoon with three goals, while six other players had multi-point performances. In his first collegiate game, George Prince led the team with one goal and three assists for four points, while Matt Paul and Richie Loftus had a pair of tallies each, and Will Randell, Ben Martin and Liam O’Connell had one of each.

"Today was a great team win," head coach Brendan Callahan said. "I was impressed with the group's resilience. We had to overcome injuries, mistakes, a weather delay and a good Canisius team to get a favorable result. Korzelius stepped up and made a few huge plays for us when it counted the most. I was also impressed with Chris Bacotti coming in at the face-off and winning a lot of 50/50 balls. We will enjoy this one tonight and put it behind us quickly and start getting ready for BU."

The opening goal of the 2018 campaign went to O’Connell, who capitalized on the first Canisius penalty of the game and scored 23 seconds in for the man-up tally. Dartmouth held on to that one-goal lead for almost five minutes before the Golden Griffins tied things up. The Big Green kept the visitors out of the net for the remaining eight minutes of the first quarter while scoring four of their own, including a career-first for goalie George Christopher (5-1), who fired from two-thirds down the field while the Canisius netminder was off his post.

Canisius out-scored Dartmouth, 5-3, in an eventful second quarter, slowly chipping away at the lead the Green had built in the first. Goal number two of the game for Paul put Dartmouth up, 6-3, but three straight Golden Griffin goals made it a tied game (6-6). Martin’s man-up marker pulled the Big Green ahead by one, while Randell gave the home team a slight two-goal advantage heading to the third (8-6).

Prince’s first goal of the game put Dartmouth up by three at the start of the third, but the score was once again tied when four Canisius goals in a row gave the Golden Griffins their first lead of the afternoon (10-9). With less than three minutes on the clock, David Gallagher got one past Liam Ganzhorn to make it a tied game with one more quarter to play.

Korzelius gave the lead back to Dartmouth 26 seconds into the fourth, but back-and-forth play over the next 13 minutes made it a 13-13 game with just 1:13 to play. Still tied with under 10 seconds, Korzelius started at midfield, winding his way around two Golden Griffins and firing to the right of the goalie, avoiding overtime by less than two seconds.

In net, Christopher played the first 32 minutes, making three saves. He was replaced by Alex Burnley for the remaining 27 minutes, and the rookie made three saves while allowing five goals.

On Tuesday, Feb. 20, the Green will hit the road to take on Boston University at 7 p.m.