HANOVER, N.H.  – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse led for the majority of the first two quarters, but fell to No. 13 Princeton, 16-6, at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday after a strong second half by the visitors. The Big Green are now 2-9 overall and 0-4 in Ivy League play, while the Tigers improved to 8-4 and 3-1.

Juniors Jack Korzelius and Richie Loftus both had a pair of goals to lead the team. Sophomore Griffin Miller made his first collegiate start, playing the opening five minutes and having his first two saves of the season before being replaced by freshman George Christopher, who had 13 saves in 48 minutes. Miller made his way back into the net for the final six minutes, making two more saves.

“I was excited with the way we came out and played,” head coach Brendan Callahan said. “We had a plan to control the ball and a plan for their offense and we played our best half of lacrosse so far this season. We knew we were going to get their best shot coming out of the first half and those first two quick goals let the air out of our balloon and we weren’t able to recover. Princeton is good and we expected them to fight, but we need to step up. Today was mental and we weren’t able to keep our composure.”

The teams traded goals in the first quarter, starting with a Charlie Durbin marker less than a minute in. Freshman Jack Forrest’s first of his career six minutes later tied the score at 1-1, but the Tigers made it 2-1 at 5:06. Forty-five seconds later, Korzelius’ 16th of the season once again tied the score up. Loftus gave Dartmouth its first lead of the game with just 4.2 seconds remaining, shooting into the middle of the net while goalkeeper Tyler Blaisdell was well off his mark.

Freshman Ben Martin made his first appearance on the scoresheet at 10:51 of the second quarter, giving the Big Green a 4-2 edge. The Tigers made it a one-goal game less than two minutes later, but Korzelius’ second of the game with five minutes to go made it 5-3 heading into the intermission.

Princeton had a great start to the second half, scoring two goals in the first 43 seconds of the third quarter to tie the score (5-5). Two more gave the Tigers a 7-5 edge with just over five minutes gone. With 6:24 left on the clock and five seconds remaining on the shot clock, Loftus scored Dartmouth’s only goal of the third to pull within one, only to have Princeton score four more by the end of the quarter (11-6).

The Tigers scored five unanswered goals in the fourth to give them a 16-6 advantage. With less than four minutes to play, junior Cormac Dugan gave the Big Green a good opportunity at a goal, but his shot hit the post.

On Saturday, April 22, Dartmouth will hit the road one last time, traveling to Philadelphia to face Penn at 1 p.m.