Related Links

Dartmouth (1-6, 0-1) at Cornell (1-6, 0-1)
Date: Saturday, April 1, 2017
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Ithaca, N.Y. – Schoellkopf Field
Live Stats

After opening Ivy League play at home last weekend, the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team will head to New York to face Cornell on Saturday, facing the Big Red at 1 p.m. on Schoellkopf Field.

Dartmouth fell to Harvard, 14-7, in its conference opener at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday. Wiley Osborne and Jack Korzelius led the team with two points apiece, while seven other Big Green players ended the game with a point. In net, George Christopher made six saves.

In an eventful first quarter that saw a combined nine goals scored, Harvard got on the board first just over a minute in, but Dartmouth countered less than two minutes later when Timmy Burke scored his first of the year, receiving the ball from classmate Jack Connolly, spinning around and firing into the cage in one fluid motion. The Crimson scored three in a row (4-1), but firsts of the season for Harrison Lane and Tucker Brown got the Big Green within one (4-3). A trio of Harvard goals pulled the visitors ahead (6-3).

The Crimson had a strong start to the second quarter, outscoring the Big Green, 4-1, and sporting a 10-4 edge with four minutes to play, the lone Big Green tally being scored by Korzelius. Dartmouth found its stride in those last few minutes, finding the back of the net twice while holding Harvard to zero goals. Richie Loftus and Ben Martin got past goalkeeper Robert Shaw less than a minute apart to make it a 10-6 game.

It took almost six minutes for either team to get on the board in the third. Forty seconds after Christopher made a huge save, two Harvard players were able to get past him to give the Crimson a 12-6 edge. With 18 seconds remaining, Korzelius netted Dartmouth’s only goal of the quarter, maintaining possession even after being knocked down and firing into the left corner of the net (12-7).

Five minutes in, Harvard’s Sean Coleman hit the post, and shots by Korzelius, David Gallagher and Osborne in the span of 20 seconds also all hit the pipe, but a pair of Crimson goals ended that streak (14-7). Four shots were taken in the remaining four minutes, but no goals were scored.

Cornell has struggled a little at the beginning of its season, facing some tough teams before conference play began and enter the weekend with an overall record of 1-6 and 0-2 in Ivy play. The Big Red fell to Penn State (20-10), Hobart (16-8), Albany (17-6), Virginia (19-18 OT) and Yale (17-8) to start the 2017 campaign, picking up its first win in the form of a 15-6 defeat over Colgate on March 21. This past Saturday, Cornell dropped a 10-9 heartbreaker to Penn to remain winless in the league. Four Big Red players have made it to double-digit points. Jeff Teat and Connor Fletcher lead with 15 goals apiece, while Teat has tacked on a team-leading 14 assists for 29 points.

On April 2, 2016, its first Ivy League game of the year, the Big Green fell to the Big Red by a score of 19-4 at home.

A pair of Cornell goals scored a minute apart in the early stages of the first quarter gave the visitors an early lead, but Dartmouth soon closed that gap to tie the game with two of its own from Loftus and Evan Key, with both assists going to Osborne. The teams remained tied for the next five minutes, but Cornell scored three consecutive markers in the final minutes to make it a 5-2 game.

The Big Red dominated the second, scoring seven more unanswered goals to give the visitors a 12-2 lead courtesy of a 10-0 run that had started halfway through the previous quarter. With 2:41 left on the clock, sophomore Jack Korzelius ended the Big Red’s run to give the Green its only goal of the quarter, but another one by Cornell made it 13-3.

A minute into the third, the Red found the back of the net again, but Key’s second of the game with 11:03 to play gave the Green their fourth of the day (14-4). Cornell scored just once more, being held to two goals in the third. The Big Red outscored the Big Green, 4-0, in the fourth to lead the visitors to victory.

Cornell outshot Dartmouth, 51-20. All three Green goalies saw time in net: Joe Balaban played the first 32 minute and had seven saves, Blair Friedensohn played the next 26 and had six stops, and Griffin Miller appeared between the pipes for the final minute. 

Christopher played another complete game, making six saves while being saddled with the loss against Harvard on Saturday. Through 420 minutes this season, he has made 76 saves and has a .475 save percentage and 11.98 goals against average. Dartmouth’s other goalkeeper, Griffin Miller, played the final four minutes of the game against No. 7 North Carolina, allowing two goals.

Four players have now made it to double-digit points. Loftus remains first in both goals (14) and points (19), while Osborne has a team-leading 12 assists. Korzelius has netted 11 goals and tacked on one assist for 12 points, while Martin has scored 10 goals and added an assist for 11 points. Burke is first with 35 ground balls, while Jack Richardson leads in faceoffs (12-25, .480). Tucker Brown has been the Big Green’s main faceoff specialist, going 47-111 (.423).

Dartmouth will be on the road next weekend too, facing No. 19 Yale on Saturday, April 8. The Bulldogs are currently first in the conference.