HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse opened Ivy League play on Saturday, falling to Harvard, 14-7, at Scully-Fahey Field. The Big Green fell to 1-6 overall and 0-1 in conference action, while the Crimson improved to 5-3 and 1-1.

Senior Wiley Osborne and junior Jack Korzelius led the team with two points apiece, while seven other Dartmouth players ended the game with a point. In net, freshman George Christopher made six saves.

“I thought today’s game was closer than the score appeared,” head coach Brendan Callahan said. “We fought and competed really hard. It was a little bit of the same story as the last game in that we made too many mistakes in the middle of the field. They were self-inflicted in key moments that held us back. Heading forward, we need to continue to find a way to finish. Finishing has been an Achilles Heel for us and we need to find a way to improve in that area.”

In an eventful first quarter that saw a combined nine goals scored, Harvard got on the board first just over a minute in, but Dartmouth countered less than two minutes later when senior Timmy Burke scored his first of the year, receiving the ball from classmate Jack Connolly, spinning around and firing into the cage in one fluid motion. The Crimson scored three in a row (4-1), but firsts of the season for sophomores Harrison Lane and Tucker Brown got the Big Green within one (4-3). A trio of Harvard goals pulled the visitors ahead (6-3).

The Crimson had a strong start to the second quarter, outscoring the Big Green, 4-1, and sporting a 10-4 edge with four minutes to play, the lone Big Green tally being scored by Korzelius. Dartmouth found its stride in those last few minutes, finding the back of the net twice while holding Harvard to zero goals. Junior Richie Loftus and freshman Ben Martin got past goalkeeper Robert Shaw less than a minute apart to make it a 10-6 game.

It took almost six minutes for either team to get on the board in the third. Forty seconds after Christopher made a huge save, two Harvard players were able to get past him to give the Crimson a 12-6 edge. With 18 seconds remaining, Korzelius netted Dartmouth’s only goal of the quarter, maintaining possession even after being knocked down and firing into the left (12-7).

Five minutes in, Harvard’s Sean Coleman hit the post, and shots by Korzelius, freshman David Gallagher and Osborne in the span of 20 seconds also all hit the pipe, but a pair of Crimson goals ended that streak (14-7). Four shots were taken in the remaining four minutes, but no goals were scored.

Dartmouth will be on the road for two games, facing Cornell on April 1 and Yale on April 8.