Related Links

Dartmouth (1-2) at Wagner (1-3)
Date: Saturday, March 4, 2017
Time: 11 a.m.
Location: Staten Island, N.Y. – Hameline Field
Live Stats

After playing two games at home, the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team will head out for three non-conference tilts in a row, starting with Wagner on Saturday. The game – which was originally scheduled to be played at 1 p.m. – will now take place at 11 a.m.

Led by five goals from Richie Loftus and five assists by Wiley Osborne, Dartmouth earned its first win of the 2017 season with an 11-9 victory over Vermont at Scully-Fahey Field.

All but one of Loftus’ goals were set up by Osborne, who ended the night with five points. Harlan Smart had one goal and two assists, Cameron Nolting had a hat trick, and two other Dartmouth players walked away with a point apiece.

George Christopher was huge in net, making a career-high 17 saves en route to picking up his first career win.

Both teams had a few good chances in the opening minutes of the first quarter, but Christopher and Vermont’s goalkeeper Nick Washuta made some tough saves to keep the ball out of the net. It took six minutes for the first goal to be scored – a man-up tally for the Catamounts – but the game started to move quickly after that, as Dartmouth and Vermont went goal for goal, ending the quarter tied at 2-2 following a pair of Loftus goals and two assists for Osborne.

The Big Green outshot the Catamounts, 3-1, in the second, thanks to a pair of goals by Nolting and a third for the Loftus/Osborne duo to give Dartmouth a 5-3 edge heading into the intermission.

Ben Martin scored his second tally of the season to start the second half (6-3) and, even though Vermont got one back to make it a two-goal game, Smart, Jack Korzelius and Loftus got in on the action to make it 10-4 in the Big Green’s favor. The Catamounts got one more to end the quarter and to get within five (10-5).

Vermont came alive in the fourth quarter, outscoring Dartmouth, 3-0, in the early stages to cut the Big Green’s lead to two (10-8), putting newfound pressure on the home team. Nolting completed his hat trick with under two minutes to play to give Dartmouth a comfortable, three-goal lead, which was cut back to two just 15 seconds later (11-9). Christopher made two huge saves in the final minute, playing a big role in Dartmouth’s win.

Wagner enters Saturday’s game with a record of 1-3 and is currently on a two-game losing streak. The Seahawks opened 2017 with a 14-11, 3OT loss to Manhattan College, but rebounded from that tough defeat to nip Lafayette, 9-8, the following weekend. Since then, Wagner has fallen to Monmouth (10-8) and Rutgers (12-5). Andrew Streilein leads the team in goals (7) and points (9), while Patrick McMenamin is first with five assists.

On March 5, 2016, the Big Green fell to the Seahawks by a score of 7-6, leading for almost the entire game until Wagner took the lead with just 21 seconds remaining in the contest.

Osborne led the team with four goals and was the only Dartmouth player to score multiple points. Four other players ended the day with a point apiece.

It took almost 12 minutes and a combined 15 shots before the first goal of the game was scored. With 3:47 left in the first, Wagner’s Paul DeVita netted an unassisted tally that proved to be the only marker of the quarter. A minute and a half later, Osborne had Dartmouth’s best chance at a goal when his shot hit the crossbar.

The Big Green outscored the Seahawks, 3-1, in the second, and all three tallies came from Osborne. His first two goals early in the quarter were scored just eight seconds apart. With 5:30 remaining, Wagner tied it at two-all, but Osborne gave Dartmouth the go-ahead just 19 seconds later.

With a 3-2 lead at the start of the third, Dartmouth and Wagner traded goals until two in a row by the Seahawks tied the score at five with 57 ticks left on the clock. With just six seconds remaining in the quarter, Evan Key got his first of the game and his third of the season – an unassisted tally made possible by a long clear by goalkeeper Blair Friedensohn – to give the home team a 6-5 edge heading into the fourth.

Defense was the word in the fourth, as neither team allowed much in the way of shots. The first goal of the quarter occurred with 2:36 left, a tally by Billy Martin that tied the score at six-all. With 21 seconds on the clock, Andrew Streilein gave the visitors their first lead since the opening quarter with the only man-up goal of the contest, and that would be an edge that would last until the end of the game.

Christopher is getting better and better in each game during his first year in Hanover and has now started and appeared in each of the team’s three games. Through 180 minutes, he has made 39 saves, has a .513 save percentage and 12.33 goals against average. For the third game in a row, he ended up with a career-high in saves, stopping 17 against Vermont to earn his first collegiate win. The Big Green’s other goalkeeper, Griffin Miller, has not yet seen any playing time this season.

Osborne is the first Dartmouth player on the roster this season to make it to double-digit points (11), leading the team in that category as well as in assists (7), while Loftus has a team-leading eight goals. Loftus has also netted two of the team’s three man-up tallies. Christopher is first in ground balls (20), while Jack Richardson has gone 9-for-19 (.474) in faceoffs. 

Dartmouth will take two weeks off before heading to Chapel Hill for a night game against North Carolina on Saturday, March 18.