PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse closed the 2016 season on Wednesday, falling to No. 2 Brown by a score of 16-3 at Stevenson-Pincince Field. The Big Green ended the year with a record of 1-13 and 0-6 in conference play, while the Bears improved to 13-1 and 6-0, capturing the Ivy crown in the process.

"I was happy with the attack we showed to start the game, especially on defense," head coach Brendan Callahan said. "I thought our aggressiveness had them on their heels in the first half. We struggled in the clear and at the face off X and when you give a good team like that extra chances, they eventually make you pay. Next season starts tonight. We have a lot of work to do and the clock to 2017 has started."

Dartmouth trailed Brown, 3-1, after the first quarter. The Bears opened scoring 49 seconds in, but that was followed three minutes later by a man-up goal by sophomore Jack Korzelius, with the assist going to senior KC Beard in his final game in a green uniform. This was Korzelius’ 17th tally of the season. After that, Brown found the back of the net twice in a five-minute span to take a two-goal advantage. 

It took over 10 minutes for another goal to be scored. With 6:17 to play in the second, the Bears further increased their lead with another tally and, three and a half minutes later, they made it 5-1 with one more.

Nine Brown goals scored in the third quarter made it 11 unanswered markers, giving the Bears a 14-1 edge. With six seconds to play, senior Blair Friedensohn – who replaced freshman Joe Balaban in net halfway through the quarter – sent the ball clear down to the other end of the field and connected with junior Wiley Osborne, whose shot hit the post. 

Brown got its 15th of the game early in the fourth quarter, but both teams were held scoreless for six minutes after that following a combined eight shots. With 6:34 to play, sophomore Richie Loftus scored his 16th of the season, with the assist going to Korzelius to give him his second point of the day. After that, back-to-back shots by senior Cam Lee and Korzelius had to be saved by the Bears’ goalkeeper.

With two and a half minutes remaining, sophomore Ty Vandenberg made his season-debut between the pipes. The Bears scored once more with 57 seconds to go and, with 17 ticks left on the clock, freshman Cameron Nolting scored his first collegiate goal following a pass from sophomore Cody George.

Brown outshot Dartmouth, 48-20. In net, Balaban and Friedensohn ended the night with six saves apiece.