Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Late Goal Helps No. 20 UNH Escape Resilient Dartmouth Team

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley
HANOVER, N.H. – A late goal from New Hampshire’s Casey Pohlmeyer halted a second-half comeback bid by the Dartmouth field hockey team Sunday at Chase AstroTurf Field, as the visiting Wildcats picked up a 2-1 non-conference win.

Senior Maggie Scanlon scored the Big Green’s lone goal against 20th-ranked UNH, snapping the visitors’ stretch of 405:10 (5+ games) without allowing a goal to the opposition dating back to Oct. 13.

Scanlon redirected an Olivia Quaglia shot in the 50th minute to tie the game at 1-1. For Scanlon, it was her eighth goal of the season, good for second on the team in 2013. In addition to Quaglia, junior Janine Leger was also credited with an assist on the play.

Junior Ellen Meyer was tested all afternoon against the potent UNH offense, finishing the game with 11 saves. In two contests this weekend, Meyer stopped 24 total shots as her career-high 13 saves on Saturday helped the Green to a win at Harvard.

The one-goal loss snaps a three-game win streak for Dartmouth, who fall to 7-9 overall this season. New Hampshire pushed its current streak of victories to six straight with the 2-1 outcome on Sunday, giving the team a record of 13-6 this fall. 

UNH’s Meg Flatley got the scoring started just 4:53 into the contest, intercepting a pass in her offensive end and sliding a shot under Meyer for the early 1-0 lead.

More than 45 minutes passed before Scanlon would get the game’s next goal. On a set corner play, the ball ended up on the stick of Quaglia at the top of the circle. The shot, which would serve as a well-placed pass, would find space in a sea of legs and feet and onto the perfectly positioned stick of Scanlon in the midst of the crowd for the redirect.

A similar play would be Dartmouth’s undoing at the other end in the 63rd minute as Pohlmeyer faked a shot before unleashing a blast that rang off the back of the net for the game-winning goal.

The Green and White would pressure in the waning minutes seeking the equalizer that unfortunately for the home team never came.

Opposite Meyer, UNH’s Carli Tarbell stopped eight shots, seven of which came in the first half as the Dartmouth offense pressed after the Pohlmeyer tally. Meyer had to stop seven in the first half, before making four in the final frame, several of which came in spectacular fashion.

The Big Green will wrap-up the 2013 campaign next Saturday, Nov. 9 against Cornell at home. Scheduled start time is set for noon with Senior Day ceremonies set to take place following the conclusion of the game.