Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Big Green Battles Back to Beat Brown, 3-2

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. - Twice the Dartmouth field hockey team battled back from one-goal deficits Saturday afternoon against Brown in the team's Ivy League home opener.

But it was the two goals late in the second half that proved to be the real difference in the end that helped the Green and White overcome the Bears and secure a 3-2 league win.

Junior Sam Anderson's (Wilton, Conn.) deflection goal with 7:30 remaining in the second half was that difference maker as it broke the 2-2 tie and gave the Big Green (3-4, 1-1 Ivy) it first lead of the day.

Sophomore Ali Savage (New South Wales, Australia) set up the play with a centering feed from the endline that found its way through a sea of legs in front of the goal and onto the stick of Anderson for the redirect goal that proved to be the winner.

Savage was not only stellar at setting up goals on this day, but also managed to find herself on the receiving end of another well-placed pass that she knocked home for her first tally of the season.

Trailing 1-0 late in the first half, Savage stretched out to tip a long, hard feed from classmate Rebecca Hu (Skillman, N.J.) to pull even in the 30th minute. It was her first goal since she scored the game winner in overtime against Cornell in the 2011 season finale last November.

The Bears' (2-4, 0-2 Ivy) Hannah Rodgers gave her team another one-goal advantage when she buried her own rebound into an open netmouth in the 48th minute. It was her second point of the contest after assisting on Clayton Chritus' marker just over 17 minutes into the game.

But, trailing to the Bears and coming back is nothing new to the Big Green, and it would not stop a determined Dartmouth attack on Saturday.

In the battle between these two teams last season in Providence, Brown held three separate one-goal leads. For every tally it scored, the Green and White matched before a shot from Savage in overtime ended it in favor of the visitors. On Saturday, there was no need for OT.

Senior Maya Herm (Bethesda, Md.) helped the home team knot the game at two apiece when she banged in a rebound in the middle of the circle with 11 minutes remaining.

Anderson's goal just over three and a half minutes later sealed it and Dartmouth ran the clock down with deliberate possessions in the waning moments for the team's first Ivy League win of 2012.

Senior Jenna Stearns (Thornton, N.H.) was strong in net, playing all 70 minutes and turning aside three shots, including two big stops on Brown penalty corners. Her counterpart in the Bears' Shannon McSweeney was tested often, making nine saves in the loss.

After a four-game skid, the Big Green have now won two in a row following Wednesday's 6-5 victory against Bryant an d Saturday's Ivy win against the Bears.

There is little time to rest, though. Dartmouth is back in action Sunday afternoon with a road game against Holy Cross (1-7) in Worcester at 2 p.m.