Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Drops Heartbreaker in OT to UNH, 5-4, in Hanover

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley
HANOVER, N.H. - Senior Maya Herm scored with 2:13 left in regulation to force overtime, but New Hampshire was able to come away from Sunday's meeting against the Dartmouth field hockey team with a 5-4 win in extra time.
UNH's Joyce Kellie found space just 5:53 into the overtime period and put a low show into the back of the goal to earn her team the hard-fought non-conference win. The loss was also just the second for the Big Green (10-6) in the last 11 games and snapped a four-game win streak.
The game was technically a home contest for the Wildcats (11-7) despite being played at Dartmouth's Chase Field in Hanover.
For the second time in as many days, sophomore Janine Leger scored a pair of goals for the Green and White, her sixth and seventh, respectively, of the season.
After Leger's first of the game, junior Maggie Scanlon knocked home her fourth of the year to give her team the 2-0 lead just minutes after hitting the crossbar.
UNH answered back 70 seconds later to pull to within one on Megan Bozek's corner shot, while Hannah Richard tied it less than two minutes before the intermission.
Richard wasted little time in giving her team the lead again early on in the second, finishing the play with a redirect 2:32 into the frame.
Leger's second of the day and fourth of the weekend followed less than three minutes later to once again tie the game, this time at three apiece. It was Liz Blanken's shot that was deflected by the sophomore midfielder past the Wildcats keeper to pull the two squads even.
However, after a collision with starter Jenna Stearns resulted in a penalty stroke and Stearns leaving the game, Bozek gave her team a 4-3 lead with just 3:39 left on the clock.
That's when Herm collected a loose ball near the top or the arc off the stick of freshman Eliza Becker and buried a long shot through traffic to force the OT period.
Playing 7-on-7 for the extra session, Kellie was able to pick up the ball beyond midfield and come in on sophomore Ellen Meyer now in the Dartmouth goal before her low shot rang off the back of the goal for the 5-4 win.
Stearns had made seven saves in her 66:22 of action, while New Hampshire's Carlie Tarbell stopped four and allowed four in her 75:53 in the other goal.
The Big Green are back in action next Saturday at noon against Cornell in Ithaca. The contest marks the final game of the regular season for both teams and has ramifications of both clubs for final placement in the 2012 Ivy League standings.