HANOVER, N.H. – The No. 5 Dartmouth men’s squash team took down No. 9 Yale at home on Sunday, 6-3, as the team celebrated senior day and the final regular season match before the team championship starting on February 23. The Big Green finish the season with an 11-4 record while the Bulldogs even out to 8-8.
This is the first time Dartmouth has defeated Yale since January of 1997, when the Big Green took down the Bulldogs 5-4 at home, Yale had won the last 24 meetings between the teams.
First on for Dartmouth was junior Matt Giegerich, who won in three straight games, co-captain Jack Harvey who won in four games and junior Sam Epley showed his composure winning three long games, including one that went to 15 points.
In the second round, junior Carson Spahr lost to his opponent in three games and freshman James Bell lost in four, while freshman Toby Harding won his match without dropping a game. The match stood at 4-2 in favor of the Big Green with one more win needed to secure the victory.
The last round started with co-captain Alvin Heumann who could not turn a strong Bulldog opponent and lost in four games. The last two matches of the day were freshman Reg Anderson and sophomore Brandon De Otaduy Nam. Anderson came through in four games and minutes later De Otaduy Nam added to the win column, only dropping one game.
In two weeks Dartmouth will travel to Trinity for the team national competitions.
- Spencer Lovejoy (Y) def. Alvin Heumann (D): 9-11, 11-6, 11-6, 11-3
- Gill Harrison (Y) def. Carson Spahr (D): 11-5, 11-5, 11-7
- Matt Giegerich (D) def. Max Martin (Y): 11-8, 11-6, 11-8
- Toby Harding (D) def. Arjun Kochhar (Y): 11-9, 12-10, 11-8
- Brandon De Otaduy Nam (D) def. Pierson Broadwater (Y): 8-11, 11-3, 11-5, 11-5
- Sam Epley (D) def. Thomas Kingshott (Y): 15-13, 11-8, 13-11
- Jack Harvey (D) def. Tyler Carney (Y): 12-10, 11-3, 9-11, 11-9
- Yohan Pandole (Y) def. James Bell (D): 7-11, 11-4, 11-9, 12-10
- Reg Anderson (D) def. James Losty (Y): 11-2, 5-11, 11-7, 11-6
- Brian Giegerich (D) def. Jacob Rhee (Y): 8-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-6