Related Links

HANOVER, N.H. – The Dartmouth men’s hockey team will play a decisive Game 3 against St. Lawrence Sunday evening after the Saints won Game 2, 4-2, Saturday at Thompson Arena to tie the series at a game apiece.

Puck drop for the third and final contest of this best-of-three ECAC Hockey First-Round series is set for 5 p.m.

The fifth-seeded Big Green (14-15-2) and Saints (8-26-2) are headed for a Game 3 thanks to a third-period power-play goal from Ryan Lough just seven seconds shy of the midway point of the frame. The initial shot hit Dartmouth defenseman Brendan Less in the ankle and came right back to Lough’s stick for a second chance he did not waste, depositing it into the back of the net.

An empty-net insurance goal followed with 1:12 left to give 12th-seeded Saints the win.

“It was an up-and-down battle all night and a great college hockey game,” head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 said. “We worked hard for 60 minutes and, in the end, it came down to a power-play goal. We have to do a better job of putting ourselves in a better position and not let things get to that point.”

Things looked good for the home team early on as sophomore Ryan Blankemeier scored the evening’s opening goal just 2:32 into the game. For Blankemeier, it was his second goal of the season and first since the opener at Holy Cross on Oct. 27.

The Saints got the next two goals with Cade Gleekel notching the first of his career at 13:49 of the first period and Mike Marnell’s breakaway score coming at 5:48 of the second.

Like last night, it looked as if the Big Green would head into the locker room after the second period down. However, senior defenseman River Rymsha sent the teams into the intermission tied thanks to his first of the season.

Will Graber stole the puck off the stick of a SLU defender at the blueline. His shot hit teammate Shane Sellar at the top of the crease and bounced back out into the slot for the streaking Rymsha, who netted his first goal since Game 1 of the 2016 quarterfinal round at Yale on March 11.

Senior netminder Devin Buffalo finished with 18 saves in the net for the home team, while Arthur Brey’s 26 helped the Saints earn a split of the first two games and force Sunday’s contest.

Dartmouth held a 28-22 edge in shots. Lough’s power-play marker was the only one for either team as St. Lawrence finished 1-for-3 with Dartmouth failing to capitalize on any of its three opportunities.