LANGENTHAL, Switzerland – In its European debut, the Dartmouth men’s hockey team fell to SC Langenthal, 5-0, Thursday night at KEB Shoren.

Three first-period goals proved too much to overcome for the Big Green in their first of three exhibition games on the tour.

In all, five different members of the home team found the back of the net on this night as Stefan Tschannen led the way with one tally and a pair of assists.

Cab Morris got the start in the Dartmouth goal and turned aside 28 shots in his appearance. At the other end of the ice, SC Langenthal’s Marco Mathis equaled Morris’ save total in posting the shutout.

A tired team from traveling the last 36 hours, the Green were also hampered on Thursday by a late arrival to the arena which cut into the team’s warm-up time.

Sophomore Brett Patterson led the way with five shots on goal between playing both forward and defense. Patterson’s classmate Nick Bligh was a dominant force in the circle, winning 14-of-his-19 draws and helped the Big Green win 58.7% (37-63) of the face-offs as a team on the night.

Dartmouth will be back in action on Saturday, Aug. 31 against Thurgau in Weinfelden, Switzerland.

The oldest wooden bridge in Europe is in the beautiful city of Lucerne, Switzerland.

DAY 3 – Aug. 29

The first full day in Europe began with breakfast in the hotel across from Lake Como. Players were given a wide time range in which they could eat in order to help them get adjusted to the time change more fully with a bit of extra sleep.

After breakfast, the entire group found themselves once again back on the bus and headed north. Just 15 minutes after the day’s trek began, we found ourselves at the Swiss border. Our guide, Sergio, had been adamant in his statement that everyone must have their passports because Switzerland was not a part of the European Union and they would be checking. The bus was waived through without stopping and we continued on our way.

Traveling through the longest underground tunnel in continental Europe, we went under the majority of the Swiss Alps in a two-lane road. The proximity of cars traveling in the opposite lane of the tunnel was magnified our large bus seemingly came face-to-face with a commercial truck every few minutes.

The team stopped at a rest area on the other side of the tunnel for lunch. Early skepticism about eating a team meal in a rest stop was quickly quelled by the cleanliness and wide selection of local meals. Pasta dishes, local sausages and high-end sandwiches were available for the whole party.

Back on the road, the group moved on to the beautiful city of Lucerne in central Switzerland. Although only given roughly an hour to explore the city and the shops in the area of our drop-off, the consensus regarding the city’s beauty was unanimous. Walking across the oldest wooden bridge in Europe led the team over crystal clear water teeming with swans and ducks. Beautiful old buildings lined the water with the tables of cafes and restaurants in front of storefronts.

The bus returned and the group made its way to Langenthal for the game. The hour bus ride was made a bit longer as no one seemed to know where the arena was located. Passing by once, the security guard on the road didn’t wave the driver in on his first approach, finally doing so after turning around in the nearby village center. No one seemed to mind as the extra five minutes allowed more sightseeing of the spectacular landscape that surrounds the arena.

The rest stop not only had great food, but also wonderful views.