SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - Dartmouth sophomore Rick Pinkston scored a power-play goal with 4:55 left in the third period to force overtime and the eventual 2-2 tie with No. 18 Union Friday night at Messa Rink.

The second-year defenseman found space inside the right post from the point to pull the 16th-ranked Big Green (11-7-3, 7-5-2 ECAC) even late in regulation. The two teams remain tied for third in the ECAC Hockey standings with 16 points apiece after the draw.

Goaltender Cab Morris was the story of the game, though, turning aside a career-high 37 shots in the effort. His counterpart in Union (13-8-5, 6-4-4 ECAC) netminder Troy Grosenick had 24 saves as both allowed a pair.

Two of the top four penalty-kill units in the country with both averaging a success rate above 90.0 percent coming in combined to allow three power-play markers in the game. Dartmouth had two of those man-advantage goals with Pinkston's proving to be the most important.

Union's Kevin Sullivan started the scoring as he broke the scoreless tie early on in the second period, knocking a loose puck in the low slot beyond the outstretched pads of Morris.

Sophomore Eric Neiley wasted little time after a second Kyle Bodie penalty, scoring five seconds into the Dartmouth power play with a one-time blast from the left faceoff dot. Tyler Sikura won the draw back to freshman defender Ryan Bullock at the point who made the pass to Neiley drifting in from the point for his fifth goal of the season.

The Dutchmen would answer back with a power-play tally of their own as Mat Bodie's shot from the point hit the top right corner of the netting to regain the lead, 2-1.

That lead lasted until the late stages of the contest when Pinkston scored the game-tying marker as Daniel Ciampini sat in the box for a tripping infraction. Dustin Walsh and Mike Keenan were credited with the assists, working the puck around the outside of the box.

The Big Green needed to kill off a penalty of its own in a crucial situation as just 20 seconds into the overtime Eric Robinson was whistled for an elbowing call. Solid play in the defensive zone and some shorthanded chances allowed Dartmouth to escape as the game ended in the 2-2 draw.

Union was 1-for-5 in the contest on the power play, while the Big Green converted on two of its three chances with the man-advantage. The home team outshot the visitors, 39-26.

The Green and White are back in action Saturday night down the road in Troy, N.Y., as they take on Rensselaer at Houston Field House at 7 p.m.