Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Women's Hockey Shuts Out Brown, 1-0 on the Road

Article Image
By Doug Austin
Related Links

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Sophomore netminder Katie Milligan made 11 third-period saves, on her way to earning her first career shutout as the Dartmouth women's hockey team defeated Brown, 1-0 on Saturday at Meehan Auditorium. With the victory, the Big Green have now won back-to-back road games, improving to 3-1-0 on the season and 3-1-0 in ECAC Hockey. The Bears falls to 1-3-0 overall and 1-3-0 in the conference.

With Milligan rock-solid between the pipes, all Dartmouth needed was a single goal from senior Camille Dumais midway through the second period. With the Big Green on a power play, she beat Brown goaltender Aubree Moore with a rebound shot at the 15:01 mark. Senior defenseman Sasha Nanji was credited with the assist. Dumais's game-winner was her third goal of the season and Dartmouth's fourth power play marker on the year.

Dartmouth outshot the Bears, 10-7 in the opening period with a couple solid scoring chances. Early in the frame, freshman Lindsey Allen found herself on a breakaway, which soon became a two-on-one when she was joined by teammate Jenna Hobeika. Allen kept the puck, shooting on Moore, who made a leg pad save to keep the game scoreless.

The Big Green also had three power play opportunities in the first period, but couldn't take advantage as the two squads went into the locker room tied at zero.

Both teams headed into the second period ready to battle, and the game took a much more physical turn. Dartmouth held a 10-1 advantage in second period shots, finally capitalizing on Dumais's goal after Brown's Kelly Kittredge was whistled for interference.

Trailing by a goal heading into the third period, Brown kept Milligan and the rest of the Dartmouth defense on its toes, outshooting the Big Green, 11-3 in the final frame. With 1:22 left in the period, Brown called a timeout, pulling Moore from her net as soon as play resumed to work to keep the puck in Dartmouth's zone. With less than 20 seconds on the clock, Milligan made a crucial save on Alena Polenska's shot from the point, and the Big Green defense blocked away Vanessa Welten's rebound chance. As time wound down, Brown's Sarah Robson got off a point-blank shot, but once again Milligan was there to make an impressive save and end the game.

Milligan (1-1-0) stopped seven shots in the first period, one in the second and a game-high 11 in the final frame for 19 total, earning her first victory of the season. Moore (1-1-0) made 22 saves for the Bears, suffering her first loss of the year.

Dartmouth will play its first home game of the season next, a non-conference matchup against New Hampshire Tuesday night at Thompson Arena. Faceoff is 7 p.m.