Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Big Green Fall in ECAC Hockey Action to St. Lawrence

Article Image
By Mark Washburn

HANOVER, N.H. – The Dartmouth women’s hockey team jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on Friday night, but St. Lawrence would rally to score four unanswered goals en route to a 4-1 triumph in ECAC Hockey action at Thompson Arena.

With the loss, the Big Green (7-17-1, 6-12-1) have now dropped two home conference games in a row, while the Saints (11-16-3, 10-6-3) avenged a 7-2 defeat Dartmouth in the Upper Valley last season.

Freshman Devon Moir opened the scoring and gave the Green and White a 1-0 lead 15:23 into the first period. Laura Stacey won a faceoff in the offensive zone to the left of St. Lawrence netminder Carmen MacDonald, who made a save on Lindsey Allen’s shot attempt before Moir potted her first collegiate goal.

For the third time in the last four contests a member of the Class of 2017 netted their first marker as a member of the Big Green. Stacey’s helper was her team-leading ninth during her sophomore campaign, while Allen registered her eighth assist of the season.

Just over two minutes later, the Saints knotted the game at one as Jenna Marks scored the first of her three tallies on the night. The line of Marks, Kailee Heidersbach and Kayla Raniwsky produced three goals and four assists for the visitors.

MacDonald kept the Saints in the game early, stopping 15 shots during the first 20 minutes. After the first period, Dartmouth held a 16-7 advantage in shots. After Moir’s marker, MacDonald turned aside the final 18 shots she faced.

Marks had the only goal of the second period and gave St. Lawrence its first lead of the contest 7:34 into the stanza.

Early in the third, the Saints stretched their lead to two as Alex Moore scored on the power play. Abbey McRae won a faceoff in the Dartmouth zone and Rylee Smith fired a shot from the near boards that Moore deflected in.

The two conference rivals would trade blows over the next 12 minutes. With just under two minutes remaining in regulation head coach Mark Hudak pulled Dartmouth goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft in favor of an extra attacker. After a nice scoring chance in front of MacDonald, St. Lawrence cleared the puck and Marks put the game out of reach with an empty-net goal.

Holdcroft made 17 saves in a losing effort for Dartmouth, while MacDonald stopped 31 of the 32 shots she faced.

The Big Green conclude a three-game homestand tomorrow, Feb. 15, welcoming No. 5 Clarkson into Thompson Arena. The tilt with the Golden Knights is slated to get underway at 4 p.m. Following the contest, Dartmouth will honor the three members of the Class of 2014 in their final home game.