Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Women's Hockey Skates to 2-2 Tie with Colgate

Article Image
By Doug Austin

HANOVER, N.H. — Behind goals from Sally Komarek and Reagan Fischer, the Dartmouth women's hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with Colgate Saturday night at Thompson Arena. With the draw, the Big Green move to 4-2-2 overall and 3-2-1 in ECAC Hockey, while the Raiders are now 3-10-2 and 0-6-2 in the conference.

Fischer's fifth goal of the season, coming on the power play at the 11:47 mark of the second period, was the game-tying marker for the Green and White. Senior defenseman Margaux Sharp started the play, beating the Colgate defense for control of the puck in the slot before connecting with Fischer. The senior captain fired past Colgate netminder Ashlynne Rando to knot the score, 2-2.

Colgate opened the scoring midway through the first period when Jenna Klynstra notched her second goal of the season. Starting the play with a faceoff win at the far circle, the senior forward sent the puck to linemate Casey Dockus, who quickly tapped it back. Klynstra then skated behind the net for the wraparound, beating Holdcroft over her left shoulder for the 1-0 advantage.

Dartmouth knotted the score, 1-1, with 1:11 remaining in the period, when Sally Komarek tallied her first of the season. As the opening frame drew to a close, the senior center collected a pass from Sharp and fired on net. Initially hitting off Rando's shoulder pad, it looked as though the netminder would make the save, but the puck bounced in Dartmouth's favor and in for the goal. Laura Stacey was also credited with an assist on the play.

Melissa Kueber put the Raiders back on top 6:23 into the second period. The Big Green had just returned from a penalty and were still trying to get set defensively when Stephanie Giannopoulos took advantage with a quick pass to Kueber, who stuffed it in for the 2-1 lead.

After Fischer's game-tying marker five minutes later, neither team would score again. Dartmouth did have a scoring chance as the second period drew to a close, when the hosts were awarded a penalty shot after a scoring review. Senior Camille Dumais took the shot, but hit Rando square in the chest.

In the overtime period, Dartmouth got off a pair of shots on goal while holding the Raiders to one. With less than a minute remaining, Fischer had a solid scoring opportunity, taking a pass from classmate Jenna Hobeika but missing wide left of the goal. Big Green goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft also made a key save on Rachel Walsh's late shot to keep her team in the game.

After being outshot, 12-10 in the opening period, Dartmouth bounced back to outshoot the Raiders, 29-25 for the game. In goal, Holdcroft (3-1-2) made 23 saves for the Big Green while allowing both goals. Rando (1-4-2) stopped 27 shots, also allowing a pair of goals.

Dartmouth returns to the ice next weekend, facing Harvard on the road on Friday, Nov. 30. Puck drops at 7 p.m.