Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Football Edged by Princeton, 17-14, in Overtime

Article Image
Andrew Kempler     By John and Matt Risley
Related Links

Saturday, November 17, 2007


HANOVER, N.H. - A spirited fourth-quarter comeback by Dartmouth went for naught as Princeton took a 17-14 overtime victory in Ivy League football action Saturday afternoon.

Trailing, 14-7, with two seconds remaining in regulation, senior quarterback Tom Bennewitz (Weston, Conn.) threaded a six-yard pass to junior Philip Galligan (Moraga, Calif.) in the endzone. Senior Andrew Kempler's (Westport, Conn.) PAT forced the overtime.

Dartmouth (3-7 overall, 3-4 Ivy) started overtime on offense, but a Big Green fumble recovered by Princeton's Jon Stem gave possession to the Tigers.

After a Brian Anderson run of 16 yards and another for no gain by Ben Bologna, Princeton's R.C. Lagomarsino rushed toward the middle of the field for two. Connor Louden's 25-yard field goal gave the Tigers the winning margin.

"We're disappointed with the outcome," said Big Green coach Buddy Teevens. "The opening 30 minutes of the first half, I told them I thought they were sleepwalking. I challenged them and they responded. Our defensive did a nice job, not allowing a point in the second half. Offensively, we moved the ball much more productively. We didn't make plays that we had to make in specific situations."

Princeton (4-6, 3-4) held a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. On the Tigers' opening series, Princeton went 88 yards in seven plays and took a 7-0 lead on a Rob Toresco's two-yard run.

After forcing Dartmouth to go four and out, the Tigers came back with another drive, this one going 71 yards in 10 plays. On the keeper, Anderson sprinted from nine yards out for a 14-0 lead with 4:45 to play in the opening stanza.

After scoreless second and third quarters, the Big Green answered in the fourth. A 13-play drive was culminated when bruising fullback Ryan Mahoney (Nahant, Mass.) bulled up the middle from the one.

With 1:44 left in regulation, the Big Green orchestrated an 85-yard drive for the tying points. The big plays were a 24-yard pass to senior tight end Brett Lowe (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) and a personal foul call against the Tigers.

"I'm just so proud of my team and how they hung in there," said Princeton head coach Roger Hughes. "I thought Dartmouth took the momentum away from us in the second half, and really had it at the end of the game. Our defense came up big in overtime, when they had to, to get us the ball back.

"That's what we had been lacking recently, is coming up with the big play to win the game, and this week we did that," added Hughes. "I'm really proud of this team."

In the first varsity start of his career, Anderson, a junior quarterback for Princeton, completed 16 of 21 passes for 186 yards.

Lowe had a career day for Dartmouth, catching 10 passes for 150 yards. At quarterback, Bennewitz attempted a career-high 57 passes, completing 28 for 290 yards. Junior tailback Milan Williams (Mobile, Ala.) ran for a game-high 85 yards on 14 carries.

Kempler finished up an impressive season, making a perfect 36-of-36 extra point attempts. He's the first kicker to do that since Todd Catlin '02 went 30-for-30 in 2000.