Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Football Takes 37-28 Homecoming Victory over Columbia

Article Image
By Mark Washburn
Related Links

Saturday, October 20, 2007


HANOVER, N.H. - With tailbacks Nate Servis (Milwaukee, Wis.) and Rob Mitchelson (Oklahoma City, Okla.) both rushing for more than 100 yards, the Dartmouth football team rallied late in the fourth quarter, taking a 37-28 victory over Columbia on Homecoming weekend.

Servis racked up 130 yards and Mitchelson earned 105 as the Big Green (2-4 overall, 2-1 Ivy) had two rushers surpass the century mark for the first time in 45 years. The last two players were Tom Spangenberg (208 yards) and Bill King (112), who completed the feat on November 24, 1962 against Princeton.

Both were in attendance at today's Dartmouth-Columbia game and were recognized at halftime as part of the 1962 Ivy Championship team.

"I am very proud of our guys," said Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens. "We finished the game and that's been a charge for a while - to go out and play 60 minutes of football. When we needed to come up with a big play on defense, we did. When we needed to control the football moving down the field and score, we did. Today, there was a feel of confidence that I haven't seen to this degree. It was a growth opportunity for our football team."

The Big Green and the Lions (1-5 overall, 0-3 Ivy) put on a back-and-forth battle for the Homecoming crowd of 8,720. After Columbia scored first, taking advantage of an early interception, Dartmouth answered with a Hudson Smythe (Menlo Park, Calif.) 1-yard run and a halfback option pass for a 14-7 lead early in the second quarter.

Fullback Julian Collins (Tinton Falls, N.J.) completed his second TD pass of the season, finding wideout Philip Galligan (Moraga, Calif.).

Columbia's Nico Gutierrez scored on a 32-yard pass to tie the game, 14-14, before senior Brian Evans (Fairfield, Texas) grabbed an 11-yarder from quarterback Alex Jenny (Wayland, Mass.). That made it 21-14 with 26 seconds remaining until halftime.

Columbia's Taylor Joseph answered early in the third quarter, scoring on a 40-yarder from quarterback Craig Hormann, but the Big Green regained the lead, 28-21, at the midway point when Smythe scored from three yards out.

The Lions again knotted the game at 9:54 of the fourth quarter when Austin Knowlin went 27 yards on a reverse, making it 28-28.

With 3:23 remaining, Dartmouth had a chance to retake the lead on to have senior Andrew Kempler's 28 yard field goal attempt carom off the right upright. But the Big Green's Jason Blydell (Nahant, Mass.) forced a fumble on the next play, and senior John Pircon (Whitefish Bay, Wis.) returned the ball to the Columbia 16.

Four plays later, Smythe had his third touchdown of the game for a 35-28 lead with 1:49 on the clock. Dartmouth added insurance 42 seconds later with a safety coming off Columbia's bad snap from center.

Smythe also made a bit of history as the first Dartmouth player to score three rushing touchdowns in one game since Michael Gratch against Cornell on November 4, 2000.

Coming on in relief of starter Tom Bennewitz (Weston, Conn.), Jenny completed 14 of 23 passes for 189 yards and one TD.

Senior linebacker Justin Cottrell (Somers Point, N.Y.) spearheaded the defense with eight tackles (five solo), one sack and one interception.

Dartmouth is on the road next weekend, traveling to Harvard for a 12:30 pm start.