BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Dartmouth men’s tennis improved to 5-0 on the season with its 4-3 victory over Indiana at the IU Tennis Center on Friday evening.
"I am really proud of how our guys handled tonight's match," head coach Chris Drake said. "We played a very good team in their house and I thought we handled the ups and downs of the match very maturely. The doubles point was very close, and obviously, that point turned out to be huge. I'm proud of the work we put in during the week and I'm proud of our willingness to play our games the right way in pressure situations."
Sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer started things off with a 6-4 victory over Raheel Manji and Keivon Tabrizi at the top spot, but the Hoosiers followed that up with a win at the No. 3 position. The match at the No. 2 position was close, but junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross walked away with a 7-5 win.
The Big Green soon made it 2-0 when freshman Peter Conklin defeated Brandon Lam, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 and, although Indiana got one back at the No. 4 spot, Dartmouth soon clinched with back-to-back victories. At the No. 1 position, Broom took down No. 125 Raheel Manji, 6-3, 6-2, and freshman Dan Martin followed that up with a 6-4, 7-5 defeat of Antonio Cembellin at the No. 2 position.
On Sunday, Dartmouth will face Louisville at 12 p.m.
1) Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Manji/Tabrizi (Indiana), 6-4
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Salgado/Cembellin (Indiana), 7-5
3) Crane/Ahmadi (Indiana) def. Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. No. 125 Manji (Indiana), 6-3, 6-2
2) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Cembellin (Indiana), 6-4, 7-5
3) Tabrizi (Indiana), def. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
4) Crane (Indiana) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
5) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Lam (Indiana), 6-0, 6-1
6) Brodney (Indiana) def. Speicher (Dartmouth), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,4,1,2,3,6