PRINCETON, NJ— Dovydas Sakinis needed an extra set to claim the #1 singles, as the Dartmouth men’s tennis team defeated #59 Princeton, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the Thompson Outdoor Courts.
After waiting to allow a morning rainstorm to pass, the matches were held outdoors. By the end of the match, the sun was shining on the Big Green who showed great promise in defeating the Tigers.
“This was a phenomenal college tennis match. Our resiliency was on full display today as the match was back and forth all afternoon. We did a great job keeping our composure after having match points in doubles before losing the point. The match came down to Dovydas Sakinis at #1 singles and while he gave me a few more grey hairs by not converting a few of his match points he showed incredible composure to keep his calm,” said head coach Chris Drake. “Credit to Zach McCourt from Princeton who fought his way back with some amazing tennis to stay in the match after Dovy was up 4-1. Princeton is a tough team that plays hard across the board and we were fortunate to get the win.”
Dartmouth won three more singles matches to take the match. Cameron Ghorbani needed three sets to put down Josh Yablon, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0. Diego Pedraza and George Wall also won matches at fifth and sixth flights.
The Big Green will travel to Yale on Friday and then host Brown on Sunday afternoon.
1. - Ghorbani/Brendan Tannenbaum (Dart) def. Day/McCourt (Prin), 8-4
2. - Bloom/Davies (Prin) def. DeBot/Sakinis (Dart), 8-5
3. - Colautti/Yablon (Prin) def. Pedraza/Wall (Dart), 8-7
1. - Dovydas Sakinis (Dart) def. Zack McCourt (Prin), 7-6, 5-7, 7-6(9)
2. - Tom Colautti (Prin) def. Chris Kipouras (Dart), 6-2, 7-6(5)
3. - Alex Day (Prin) def. Brandon DeBot (Dart), 6-4, 7-5
4. - Cameron Ghorbani (Dart) def. Josh Yablon (Prin), 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. - Diego Pedraza (Dart) def. Augie Bloom (Prin), 6-1, 7-5
6. - George Wall (Dart) def. Dan Davies (Prin), 6-0, 2-6, 6-2