HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth lost the doubles this afternoon to Penn but stormed back to take four straight singles to win 4-1 at the newly revamped Thompson Outdoor Courts.
George Wall was first on the board as he evened the score 1-all with win against Blaine Willenborg, 6-1, 6-0. Diego Pedraza picked up a three set come-from-behind win. Dartmouth would not be denied on any court and Chris Kipouras continued his clutch, gritty play by breaking down his opponent in a second-set tiebreak to force a third set.
The momentum of the match swung as Kipouras roared to a 6-0 third set win and Brandon DeBot finished off his opponent in straight sets despite being down 3-5 in the second.
“We have an extremely resilient group and I knew we could come back after dropping the doubles point,” said head coach Chris Drake. “When we met after doubles we said that we didn’t want to give them a single point in singles and that’s what we did. The guys would not let a single match go on any court.
"This is a tough group of guys and they will fight to the end for every point. We still have things we can do better, particularly in doubles and we will look to play better tomorrow against Princeton. I also want to thank all of our supporters during the match. The setting at the Thompson courts was great. The weather was beautiful and we had an awesome crowd that helped pull us through.”
"It was a tremendous effort by the Big Green in front of a boisterous and supportive hometown crowd at the freshly christened Thompson outdoor courts. The Big Green came back to force third sets in all three matches that they dropped the first set," exclaimed Drake.
The Big Green will host Princeton tomorrow at 1pm.
1. - Kocovic / Nardella (Penn) v Brendan Tannenbaum / Cameron Ghorbani (Dart), 6-6 unfinished
2. - Court / Katz (Penn) def. Brandon DeBot / Dovydas Sakinis (Dart), 8-7
3. - De Alwis / Kaplan (Penn) def. Erik Nordahl / Chris Kipouras (Dart), 8-4
1. - Dovydas Sakinis (Dart) v De Alwis (Penn), 4-6, 6-0, 3-1 unf
2. - Chris Kipouras (Dart) def. Court (Penn), 3-6, 7-6, 6-0
3. - Brandon DeBot (Dart) def. Nardella (Penn), 7-6, 7-5
4. - Cameron Ghorbani (Dart) v Katz (Penn), 6-3, 2-6, 3-3 unf
5. - Diego Pedraza (Dart) def. Sharp (Penn), 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. - George Wall (Dart) def. Willenborg (Penn), 6-1, 6-0