PHILADELPHIA, PA. – The No. 70 Dartmouth men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 heartbreaker to Penn in Ivy League action on Saturday at the Hamlin Tennis Courts.
The Big Green (12-8, 1-2 Ivy League) fell to the Quakers (9-8, 1-3 Ivy League) for the second consecutive season.
With the match tied at three, Cameron Ghorbani and Blaine Willenborg battled at No. 4 singles for the clinching point. Willenborg came on top in the three-set thriller rallying after dropping the first game 7-6 as the Quakers earned their first Ivy win of the season.
In doubles action, the Big Green took two of the three matches to earn a point heading into singles action. Xander Centenari and Brandon DeBot won at No. 1, 8-3, and Brendan Tannenbaum and Alex de Chatellus netted an 8-4 triump at No. 2.
In singles action, Dartmouth dropped four of the six matches. DeBot and Chris Kipouras won their matches in straight sets at No. 5 and No. 2, respectively. DeBot won both his singles and doubles matches for the second straight match, while Kipouras won at No. 2 singles for the second consecutive match.
Dartmouth wraps up its road Ivy League weekend tomorrow, April 14, heading to New Jersey to square off with Princeton.
Penn 4, #70 Dartmouth 3
Hamlin Tennis Courts
1. Centenari/DeBot (D) def. Kocovic/Milbrandt (P); 8-3
2. Tannenbaum/DeChatellus (D) def. Kaplan/Katz (P); 8-4
3. Court/Willenborg (P) def. Ghorbani/Kipouras (D); 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Kocovic (P) def. Centenari (D); 7-7, 4-6, 6-2
2. Kipouras (D) def. Court (P); 7-6, 7-6
3. Lahlou (P) def. Nordahl (D); 6-3, 6-2
4. Willenborg (P) def. Ghorbani (D); 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
5. DeBot (D) def. Katz (P); 6-2, 6-2
6. De Alwis (P) def. Tannenbaum; 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5,6,3,2,1,4