Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Brush Leads Big Green Women's Soccer Over Yale, 1-0

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley

NEW HAVEN, CONN. -  Emma Brush scored the game-winning goal in the 36th minute to give the Dartmouth women’s soccer team a 1-0 victory on Saturday evening against Yale at Reese Stadium.

The Big Green improved to 5-4-2 overall and are now 2-1 in Ivy League play. Yale falls to 5-5 overall and 1-2 in the league.

Dartmouth and junior netminder Tatiana Saunders have shut out the past three opponents and four of the last five foes. The team has now held seven opponents scoreless and in  10 of the 11 games this season, at least one of the sides have been held off the score sheet.

Just like the previous game this week against New Hampshire, the Big Green unleashed a plethora of shots, finishing with 26 attempts against the Bulldogs. The Green and White rattled off 19 shots in the first half, followed by seven more in the final stanza for a game total of 26. Yale finished the game with 10.

The Dartmouth defense once again was the driving force to the victory, keeping the Bulldogs offense at a standstill. Saunders finished with four saves, three coming in the second half.

The Big Green wasted little time before attacking Yale netminder Rachel Ames, with two shots on goal by Marina Moschitto and Claire Goss in the opening two minutes.

Scoreless in the 36th minute of play, Dartmouth took the lead on a cross by Corey Delaney that was headed by Brush. The ball ricocheted off the post before dropping over the line to give the visitors the eventual game-winner. The goal was Brush’s team leading sixth tally of the season.

Moschitto had another chance in the 39th minute to increase the lead, but her shot was deflected away by Ames hitting the crossbar on the way out.

In the second half, Yale had two chances to tie the contest, including a chance as the buzzer expired. With seven minutes remaining, Juliann Jeffrey took a shot through traffic that hit the post and then Paula Hagoplan missed wide as the horn sounded.

Dartmouth finished with a 7-3 edge in corner kicks, taking six in the first half.

Dartmouth returns to the Upper Valley to take on Boston University on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m.