HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth women’s tennis picked up its first Ivy League win on Friday afternoon, taking down Yale by a score of 6-1 at the Boss Tennis Center. The Big Green improved to 8-9 overall and 1-0 in conference play, while the Bulldogs fell to 6-13 and 0-2.
In doubles, 6-1 victories by senior Julia Schroeder and freshman Abigail Chiu at the No. 1 position, and senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn at No. 2 put Dartmouth up heading to singles. At the No. 3 spot, freshman Maddie Hwang and junior Allison Chuang were ahead, 5-1, when the match went unfinished.
Mathis started singles well with her 6-3, 6-1 win over Samantha Martinelli at No. 1 and soon, Dartmouth had a 5-0 advantage following wins by Chiu, sophomore Chuyang Guan and Hwang. Yale’s only point came at the No. 3 position, but Schroeder ended the match by taking down Amy Yang in a third set super breaker at No. 2.
On Sunday, April 8, the Green will head to Rhode Island to face Brown. Those who subscribe to the Ivy League Network (ILN) can watch the match live.
1) Schroeder/Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Shklover/Yang (Yale), 6-1
2) Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Martinelli/Swett (Yale), 6-1
3) Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth) vs. Amos/Gillinov (Yale), 5-1, DNF
1) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Martinelli (Yale), 6-3, 6-1
2) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Yang (Yale), 7-5, 3-6 (10-8)
3) Shklover (Yale) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-3
4) Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Gillinov (Yale), 6-3, 6-1
5) Hwang (Dartmouth) def. Amos (Yale), 6-0, 6-2
6) Guan (Dartmouth) def. Swett (Yale), 6-0, 6-4