NEW YORK, N.Y. – No. 48 Dartmouth women’s tennis had a 5-2 victory over Columbia at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, playing its final road match of the regular season. The Big Green improved to 15-4 overall and 3-2 in Ivy League play, while the Lions dipped to 5-14 and 1-4 in conference action.
A 6-2 win at No. 2 doubles by Columbia and a 6-1 victory by senior Taylor Ng and junior Kristina Mathis at the No. 1 position left the deciding point on court three. The Lions won at No. 3 by a score of 6-4 to give them a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
Dartmouth soon took the lead with three straight singles victories. Freshman Racquel Lyn had a 6-2, 6-3 win over Cheng at No. 5 to tie the score, while senior Jacqueline Crawford defeated Andrea Kevakian, 7-6(5), 6-2 on court two and Mathis had a 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 win over Rima Asatrian at the No. 3 position to make it 3-1 in the Big Green’s favor.
The Lions got one more point at No. 4, but three-set victories by freshman Allison McCann at No. 6 and Ng at the top spot gave Dartmouth the win.
Next Saturday and Sunday, the Big Green will host their final regular-season matches, taking on Penn and Princeton.
1) Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Kevakian/Asatrian (Columbia), 6-1
2) Milstein/Solovyev (Columbia) def. Schroeder/Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-2
3) Pollack/Cheng (Columbia) def. Crawford/Kiven (Dartmouth), 6-4
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1) Ng (Dartmouth) def. Solovyev (Columbia), 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
2) Crawford (Dartmouth) def. Kevakian (Columbia), 7-6(5), 6-2
3) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Asatrian (Columbia), 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4) Pollack (Columbia) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 (7-4)
5) Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Cheng (Columbia), 6-2, 6-3
6) McCann (Dartmouth) def. Ren (Columbia), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,2,3,4,6,1