HANOVER, N.H. – Four of the six singles matches went to three sets as the Dartmouth women's tennis team battled #36 Columbia but fell 6-1at the Boss Tennis Center and Gordon Pavilion on Saturday.
Akiko Okuda recorded the lone point for the Big Green as Dartmouth fell 6-1 to the Lions. The Big Green's record moves to 5-7 (1-1 Ivy League), while Columbia is now 14-2 (3-0 Ivy).
With two nationally-ranked doubles teams, Columbia took the doubles point by winning the No. 1 and No. 2 matches. Dartmouth's No. 3 team of Julienne Keong and Suzy Tan trailed 3-6, but their match was halted after Columbia clinched the point.
In singles, the momentum seesawed back and forth as the Big Green and the Lions engaged in a slugfest. No. 3 Jacqueline Crawford and No. 5 Okuda won their first sets, while No. 2 Taylor Ng and captain Melissa Matsuoka '14 were edged 7-5 and 7-6, respectively. No. 6 Sarah Bessen fell in straight sets, which put Columbia up 2-0. The Lions got the third point when Kanika Vaidya defeated Katherine Yau at No. 1 6-1, 7-6. In the second set Yau went up 5-1, but Vaidya, who won the ITA Northeast Regional Championship last fall, battled back to take the set in a tiebreak. Columbia clinched the match and went up 4-0 after Crawford fell in three sets.
The Big Green continued to fight, as Okuda won her match in three sets. Ng pushed her opponent Bianca Sanon, the ITA Northeast Regional Championship runner-up, to the brink before falling 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4). Matsuoka fought back to win the second set 7-6, but was ultimately edged 12-10 in a third set super-breaker.
The Big Green return to action at the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday, April 12, at 12 pm.
1. Ng/Yau lost to #14 Sanon/Vaidya 8-2
2. Matsuoka/Okuda lost to #30 Leung/Jiang 8-1
3. Julienne Keong/Suzy Tan vs. Alecsiu/Tiana Takenaga 3-6 DNF
1. Kanika Vaidya def. Katherine Yau 6-1, 7-6 (5)
2. Bianca Sanon def. Taylor Ng 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4)
3. Tina Jiang def. Jacqueline Crawford 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Crystal Leung def. Melissa Matsuoka 7-6 (4), 6-7 (5), 12-10
5. Akiko Okuda def. Vivian Cheng 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Ioana Alesciu def. Sarah Bessen 6-3, 6-1