HANOVER, N.H. – The Dartmouth women’s tennis team kicked off their Ivy League season with a, 6-1, win over Cornell at the Boss Tennis Center and Gordon Pavilion on Friday afternoon. Dartmouth improves to 5-6 overall (1-0 Ivy League), while Cornell is now 7-5 (0-2 Ivy).
Dartmouth won the doubles point, 2-1, thanks to a clutch victory at No. 3 by Julienne Keong Si Ying and Suzy Tan. Captain Melissa Matsuoka and Akiko Okuda won their match at No. 2, 8-5. Keong and Tan then clinched the point for the Big Green with an 8-7 win (7-4 in the tiebreak). To see the Match point, please click the link http://on.fb.me/1ils73Q
In singles, Dartmouth won the first set on all six courts. Okuda put the first singles point on the board for the Big Green with a, 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 5. Matsuoka and Sarah Bessen then won their matches within a few minutes of each other at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively. Even though the Big Green’s victory was now sealed with a 4-0 lead, Cornell kept battling. Taylor Ng ultimately prevailed, 6-2, 7-6 at No. 2, while Jacqueline Crawford playing just her second singles match since last fall, fell in three sets at No. 3. Katherine Yau put the sixth and final point on the board for Dartmouth, winning her match 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 at No. 1.
The Big Green will host #36 Columbia on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Boss Tennis Center and Gordon Pavilion. Columbia is 2-0 in the Ivy League after recording 6-1 wins over Cornell and Harvard.
1. Ng/Yau lost to Cusick/D’Ascenzo 8-6
2. Matsuoka/Okuda defeated Frazier/Comolli 8-5
3. Julienne Keong/Tan defeated Christy Kung/Tanenbaum 8-7 (4)
1. Katherine Yau defeated Dena Tanenbaum 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2. Taylor Ng defeated Marika Cusick 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Jacqueline Crawford lost to Alexandra D’Ascenzo 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Melissa Matsuoka defeated Lauren Frazier 6-1, 7-6 (3)
5. Akiko Okuda defeated Shannon Comolli 6-3, 7-5
6. Sarah Bessen defeated Kristin Quill 6-4, 6-1