FRESNO, CALIF. – The Dartmouth women’s tennis team dropped a hard fought decision to Fresno State, 5-2, on Tuesday evening at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
The Big Green won singles matches in the second and third slates, but the Bulldogs were too strong overall. After Katherine Yau and Taylor Ng took their first doubles match, Fresno State battled back to claim to the point in doubles, winning the second and third flight. The doubles pairing of Julienne Keong and Suzy Tan fell 8-7 to Anne Susdorf and Rana Sherif but did force a tiebreaker and fell 6-0.
In singles, Ng defeated Sherif, 5-2, retired, and Melissa Matsuoka defeated Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7). Akiko Okuda and Sarah Bessen both fell in extra frames but took the first set of their individual matches. Okuda took a 7-5 lead over Sofya Malysheva after the first stanza and Bassen led 6-4 and even forced a tiebreaker set.
Dartmouth will face #53 Long Beach St. on Thursday afternoon, followed by Cal St. Northridge on Saturday.
1. Katherine Yau/Taylor Ng (DART) def. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) 8-2
2. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Akiko Okuda/Melissa Matsuoka (DART) 8-3
3. Anne Susdorf/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Julienne Keong/Suzy Tan (DART) 8-7 (6-0)
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Katherine Yau (DART) 6-0, 6-4
2. Taylor Ng (DART) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 5-2, retired
3. Melissa Matsuoka (DART) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Akiko Okuda (DART) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Sarah Bessen (DART) 4-6, 6-3, 2-2 (7-3)
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Julienne Keong (DART) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)