BOSTON, Mass. – In a closely-contested match that came down to the wire, the Dartmouth women’s tennis team downed Boston University 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at the BU Track & Tennis Center.
The Terriers, who are No. 7 in the ITA Northeast Regional team rankings, had never lost to the Big Green on their home courts, a slow multi-purpose surface. However, Dartmouth was determined to come away with a victory this year.
After Akiko Okuda and Matsuoka knotted the doubles score at 1-1, Yau and Taylor Ng prevailed 7-5 at No. 1 doubles. The Big Green duo defeated Leonie Athanasiadis/Johanna Hyoty 7-5, the Northeast Region’s No. 7 team, who had beaten them at the Big Green Invite in November.
Dartmouth went up 3-0 after Yau and Matsuoka won at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Ng was then edged in a third set super-breaker at No. 1 by Lauren Davis, ranked No. 17 in the Northeast Region, and Okuda also dropped a hard-fought match at No. 4. The Terriers evened the score at 3-3 with a victory at No. 5 over Julienne Keong, but her classmate Bessen prevailed in straight sets at No. 6 to clinch the victory for the Big Green.
Dartmouth returns to action Friday through Sunday, February 7 through 9, at the ECAC Championship in New York City at Columbia University.
Dartmouth 4, Boston University 3
1. No. 5 Taylor Ng lost to #17 Lauren Davis 3-6,6-3,10-5
2. No. 12 Katherine Yau defeated Johanna Hyoty 6-4,6-3
3. Melissa Matsuoka defeated Leonie Athanasiadis 3-6,6-2,10-7
4. Akiko Okuda lost to Barbara Rodriguez 7-6,(5), 6-4
5. Julienne Keong lost to Sami Leib 6-4,6-0
6. Sarah Bessen defeated Madison Craft 6-4,6-1
1. No. 8 Ng/Yau defeated #7 Hyoty/Athanasiadis 7-5
2. Okuda/Matsuoka defeated Rodriguez/Davis 6-4
3. Tan/Keong lost to Craft/McCallum 6-0