HANOVER, N.H. – The Dartmouth women’s tennis team dropped its third straight Ivy League match on Saturday afternoon, falling, 5-2, to Penn at the Boss Tennis Center and Gordon Pavilion.
The Big Green (7-7, 0-3 Ivy League) lost their fifth match in a row, while the Quakers (10-5, 2-2 Ivy League) have now won four of their last five outside of Philadelphia. The loss snapped a four match winning streak against Penn for Dartmouth.
In doubles action, the Quakers swept all three matches to earn the first point of the match.
In singles action, Penn won four of the six matches to seal the victory. The lone point earners for the Big Green were Suzy Tan and Christina Danosi at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. Both Tan and Danosi scored come-from-behind three-set triumphs.
Since helping Dartmouth win the Ivy League title two years ago, Danosi has been battling injuries, and this is only the second Ivy League singles match she’s been able to play since 2011. Making the hard earned victory even sweeter for the senior tri-captain.
With senior tri-captain Sarah Leonard and sophomore Janet Liu still sidelined by injuries, Tan was competing in only her second Ivy League singles match. Like Danosi, the Californian pulled out a third set super-tiebreaker to win her match against Alex Ion.
Dartmouth returns to action on Sunday, April 14, hosting Princeton in Ivy League play at 12 p.m. The match will be webcast live on Livestream.com. In order to follow the webcast, you will have to register for a Livestream account and follow "robert.dallis”.
Dartmouth 2, Penn 5
1. Katherine Yau lost to Sol Eskenazi 6-4, 6-1
2. Akiko Okuda lost to Stephanie Do 7-6,(5), 7-5
3. Melissa Matsuoka lost to Sonya Latychova 6-2, 6-3
4. Sarah Bessen lost to Jamie Yapp-Shing 6-4, 6-4
5. Suzy Tan defeated Alex Ion 5-7, 7-6, 10-8
6. Christina Danosi defeated Srinidhi Raghavan 6-7, 6-4, 10-7
1. Yau/Okuda lost to #41 Eskenzi/Latychova 8-3
2. Bessen/Matsuoksa dnf Jania/Yapp-Shing 7-4
3. Jeri Reichel/Julienne lost to Do/Ion 8-2