ITHACA, N.Y.- The Dartmouth women’s tennis team dropped its third straight match on Friday, falling 4-3 to Cornell in Ivy League action at the Reis Tennis Center.
The Big Green (7-5) fell in their Ivy opener for the second consecutive year, while the Big Red (12-1) bounced back from their first defeat of 2013.
For the third straight season the match between the Ivy foes was decided by one point.
In singles action, Bessen, Matsuoka and Katherine Yau scored straight set triumphs for Dartmouth. Yau won at No. 3, while Bessen and Matsuoka won at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
The Big Green return to action on April 6 as they travel to New York to face Columbia in their second Ivy League match of the season.
No. 72 CORNELL 4, DARTMOUTH 3
1. Sarah O'Neil (C) def. Sarah Leonard, 6-2, 6-4.
2. Ryann Young (C) def. Janey Liu, 6-0, 6-1.
3. Katherine Yau (D) def. Christine Ordway, 6-3, 6-2.
4. Dena Tanenbaum (C) def. Akiko Okuda, 6-0, 6-2.
5. Melissa Matsuoka (D) def. Laila Judeh, 6-4, 6-4.
6. Sarah Bessen (D) def. Nina Turudic, 6-1, 6-3.
1. Lauren Frazier/Young (C) def. Okuda/Yau, 8-6
2. Ordway/Tanenbaum (C) vs. Bessen/Matsuoka, 7-7 (DNF)
3. O'Neil/Turudic (C) def. Julienne Keong Si Ying/Suzy Tan, 8-3.
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1), Singles (2,4,3,1,6,5).