The doubles matches were all tightly contested, with the Big Green coming out on top in all three. Junior Jeri Reichel (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and Smith won 9-8 at No. 3 and that was followed by sophomore Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Liu clinching the doubles point for Dartmouth with a 9-7 victory at No. 2. At No. 1, junior co-captain Sarah Leonard (Norwalk, Conn.) and freshman Akiko Okuda (Tenafly, N.J.) also prevailed with a 9-8 victory.
In singles, Smith won handily at No. 5 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over junior Katarina Kovacevic, while classmate Liu battled back from a first set deficit to win, 3-6, 7-6, 6-1, against freshman Crystal Leung. Sophomore Melissa Matsuoka (Newport Beach, Calif.) returned to action for the first time since January and lost a close three-set match at No. 3 to Iani Alecsiu.
Dartmouth returns to action Saturday at 2 p.m. vs. Cornell at the Boss Tennis Center.
Dartmouth 3, Columbia 4
1. lost to Nicole Bartnik 6-4, 6-4
2. lost to Bianca Sanon 6-2, 7-5
3. lost to Iani Alecsiu 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Crystal Leung 3-6, 7-6, 6-1
5. defeated Katarina Kovacevic 6-1, 6-2
6. lost to Tiana Takenaga 6-4, 6-4
1. Okuda/Leonard defeated Sanon/Takenaga 9-8 (13-11)
2. Liu-Decker/Sadowski defeated Bartnik/Alecsiu 9-7
3. /Smith defeated Kovacevic/Leung 9-8