With three players sidelined or hampered by injuries, sophomore Melissa Matsuoka (Newport Beach, Calif.), junior Christina Danosi (New Albany, Ohio), and freshman Theresa Smith (University Park, Fla., the Big Green had to default the No. 6 singles match to St. Johns and then dig deep. Smith was able to play doubles, and helped contribute to a Dartmouth sweep as she partnered with senior co-captain Shelley Carpeni (New York, N.Y.).
In singles, the Big Green got straight-set wins from sophomore Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Santa Barbara, Calif.) at No. 3 singles and Carpeni at No. 5 singles. With Dartmouth leading the match 3-2, junior Jeri Reichel (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) was down a set at No. 4 singles and freshman Janet Liu (Palo Alto, Calif.) was also still on the court. But Reichel battled back from 5-4 and 6-5 second-set deficits to win the second set in a tiebreaker 7-1. She then cruised to a 6-1 third-set victory to clinch the match for Dartmouth. Liu, who was in a third set battle at No. 2 singles, retired since the team's victory was already secured, and the Big Green won by a final score of 4-3.
In the Stony Brook match, junior co-captain Sarah Leonard (Norwalk, Conn.) and sophomore Sabrina Stewart (London, England) returned to action after sitting out the morning match in order to rest injuries. Once again, the Big Green swept the doubles as Leonard and freshman Akiko Okuda (Tenafly, N.J.) set the tone with an 8-0 win at No. 1. Liu and Decker-Sadowski got their second win of the day at No. 2, while Reichel combined with Stewart to win at No. 3.
In singles, Leonard defeated Nini Lagvilava in straight sets. Lagvilava was the 2010 America East Rookie of the Year and is ranked No. 108 in the current ITA national rankings. Okuda, Stewart, and Decker-Sadowksi also won handily, losing nine games between them.
Dartmouth returns to action at the ECAC Championships at Yale on Friday, February 17.
No. 57 Dartmouth def. St. Johns 4-3
1. Akiko Okuda lost to Nevena Selakovic 6-3, 6-3
2. Janet Liu lost to Joanna Zwirbulis 3-6, 7-6, 3-2 ret.
3. Rachel Decker-Sadowski def. Ece Firat 6-1, 6-1
4. Jeri Reichel def. Diamond Adams 4-6, 7-6, 6-1
5. Shelley Carpeni def. Nakita Austin 6-3, 6-3
6. Dartmouth defaulted this match
1. Okuda-Reichel def. Selakovic-Adams 8-7
2. Liu-Decker-Sadowski def. Firat-Austin 8-3
3. Carpeni-Theresa Smith def. Lyubov-Pogirbnyak 8-2
No. 57 Dartmouth def. Stony Brook 6-1
1. Sarah Leonard def. #108 Nini Lagvilava 6-1, 6-4
2. Akiko Okuda def. Katherine Hanson 6-1, 6-1
3. Janet Liu def. Polina Movchan 6-4, 7-6
4. Sabrina Stewart def. Prerana Appineni 6-2, 6-0
5. Rachel Decker-Sadowski def. Salome Mkervalidze 6-3, 6-2
6. Jeri Reichel lost to Chloe Pike 7-5, 6-1
1. Okuda-Leonard def. Lagvilava -Appineni 8-0
2. Liu-Decker-Sadowski def. Hanson-Pike 8-4
3. Stewart-Reichel def. Movchan-Mkervalidze 8-2