EVANSTON, ILL. — The 57th-ranked Dartmouth women's tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 12 Northwestern in the opening round of the 2012 ITA National Indoor Team Championship on Saturday at Northwestern's Combe Indoor Tennis Center.
Northwestern (2-0) won all three doubles matches against the Big Green (0-2). At No. 1, freshman Akiko Okuda (Tenafly, N.J.) and senior co-captain Sarah Leonard (Norwalk, Conn.) played the country's No. 6 team of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton and lost, 8-0. The No. 2 team Jeri Reichel (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and Christina Danosi (New Albany, Ohio) and the No. 3 team Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Sabrina Stewart (London, England) both fell 8-2.
Two of the Big Green's top three players played against nationally-ranked opponents in singles. Leonard lost 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 to Kate Turvy, who is No. 26 in the ITA singles rankings. Okuda pushed Veronica Corning, a transfer from Boston College, to a tiebreaker in the first set before falling in straight sets, and at No. 3, Stewart was defeated in straight sets by Brittany Wowchuk, No. 86 in the ITA singles rankings.
Dartmouth returns to action on Sunday at 10 a.m. against either No. 24 Arkansas or No. 39 Nebraska.
1. No. 26 Kate Turny (NU) def. (DC) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Veronica Corning (NU) def. (DC) - 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. No. 86 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. (DC) - 6-3, 6-0
4. Belinda Niu (NU) def. (DC) - 6-1, 6-0
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. (DC) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. (DC) - 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 5, 3*, 1, 6, 2
1. No. 6 Linda Abu Mushrefoa/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Akiko Okuda/Sarah Leonard (DC) - 8-0
2. Brittany Wowchuk/Veronica Corning (NU) def. Jeri Reichel/Christina Danosi (DC) - 8-2
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Rachel Decker-Sadowski/Sabrina Stewart (DC) - 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2