WEYMOUTH, MASS. — In the Dartmouth women's tennis team's first match of the 2012 season, the 56th-ranked Dartmouth women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to the 45th ranked Boston College on Saturday.
The Eagles took the doubles point 2-1, but sophomores Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Sabrina Stewart (London, England) won 8-6 at No. 3. The Eagles top team, ranked No. 11 in the nation, downed junior Jeri Reichel (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and sophomore Melissa Matsuoka (Newport Beach, Calif.), 8-3. At No. 2, junior co-captain Sarah Leonard (Norwalk, Conn.) and freshman Akiko Okuda (Tenafly, N.J.) fell to the country's No. 37 team 8-2.
In singles, Leonard was leading Alex Kelleher at first singles when Kelleher retired due to injury. Senior co-captain Shelley Carpeni (New York, N.Y.) had a close contest at sixth singles, falling in a third-set super-breaker to Kelly Barry, who formerly played No. 1 for Marquette.
Dartmouth returns to action at Northwestern on Saturday,
Jan. 28, in the ITA National Indoor Kickoff Weekend, a special event
for the country's top 60 teams. The Big Green play the 12th-ranked
Wildcats at 11 a.m.
1. defeated Alex Kelleher 6-5, retired
2. lost to #108 Jessica Wacnik 6-1,6-2
3. lost to Erina Kikuchi 6-0,6-0
4. lost to Katrina Gajic 6-4,6-2
5. lost to Olga Khmylev 6-4,6-2
6. lost to Kelly Barry 6-2,3-6,1-0 (5)
1. Reichel/ lost to #11 Khmylev/Kelleher 8-3
2. Okuda/Leonard lost to #37 Kikuchi/Wacnik 8-2
3. Decker-Sadowski/Stewart defeated Barry/Gajic 8-6