PHILADELPHIA - Senior captain Melissa Matsuoka won the deciding match 6-4 in the third set to clinch a 4-3 victory for Dartmouth women's tennis over the Penn on Saturday afternoon.
The Big Green move to 6-7 (2-1 Ivy League) while Penn's record falls to 7-8 (0-4 Ivy)
Dartmouth dropped a tightly contested doubles point as Katherine Yau and Taylor Ng won at No. 1 and Matsuoka and Akiko Okuda fell at No. 2. Julienne Keong Si Ying and Suzy Tan saved three match points but ultimately were edged 8-6 at No. 3.
The Big Green battled back in singles, winning three of the four matches in straight sets. Okuda put the first point on the board with a 7-5,6-1 victory at No. 5, followed by Sarah Bessen with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 6. Ng downed her opponent 6-3, 6-2 to knot the score at 3-3 following wins by Penn at No. 1 over Yau and at No. 3 over Jacqueline Crawford. Displaying steely determination and tremendous resolve, Matsuoka prevailed 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 4 singles to claim the win for the Big Green.
Dartmouth returns to action at #69 Princeton, who are 4-0 in the Ivy League, at 12 p.m. on Sunday.
1. Ng/Yau defeated Daniel/Eskenazi 8-3
2. Matsuoka/Okuda lost to Yapp-Shing/Latycheva 8-2
3. Keong/Tan lost to Do/Vazhenina 8-6
1. Katherine Yau lost to Sol Tanenbaum 6-2,7-6(5)
2. Taylor Ng defeated Kana Daniel 6-3,6-2
3. Jacqueline Crawford lost to Sonya Latycheva 6-3,6-1
4. Melissa Matsuoka defeated Jaime Yapp-Shing 6-1,4-6,6-4
5. Akiko Okuda defeated Luba Vazhenina 7-5,6-1
6. Sarah Bessen defeated Stephanie Do 6-2,6-4