HANOVER, N.H. - The Dartmouth women's tennis team defeated the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Boss Tennis Center and Gordon Pavilion.
After dropping the season opener against Boston College, the Big Green have now won three straight matches to run their record to 3-1, while the Highlanders dropped their first match of the young season, falling to 3-1.
The Green and White swept doubles play for the first time in the young season. The duo of Katherine Yau and Akiko Okuda erased a 7-3 deficit to take their match, 8-7 (4), at No. 1 doubles. Sarah Bessen and Melissa Matsuoka cruised to an 8-0 victory at No .2, while Suzy Tan and Julienne Keong Si Ying defeated Monika Graff and Hannelore MacDonald, 8-4.
In singles action, Dartmouth took five matches in straight sets. Yau, Okuda, Janet Liu, Matsuoka and Tan all defeated their opponents for the Green and White.
The Big Green will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 8 as they travel to New York, N.Y. to compete at the ECAC Championship, which will be hosted by Columbia University.
DARTMOUTH 6, NJIT 1
1) Katherine Yau (D) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko (N), 6-3,6-2
2) Akiko Okuda (D) def. Monika Graff(N), 6-3,6-4
3) Janet Liu (D) def. Jana Luste (N), 6-1,6-2
4) Melissa Matsuoka (D) def. Natalia Melibew (N), 6-1,6-0
5) Suzy Tan (D) def. Carolina Zanotta (N), 6-3,6-1
6) Martina Tripcovici (N) def. Julienne Keong Si Ying (D), 6-4,6-4
1) Yau/Okuda (D) def. Kuzmenko/Luste (N), 8-7 (4)
2) Bessen/Matsuoka (D) def. Melibew/Zanotta (N), 8-0
3) Tan/Keong (D) def. Graff/MacDonald (N), 8-4