HANOVER, N.H. – While a stalemate took the game into two overtime periods, the Dartmouth men’s soccer team was able to pull out a 2-1 win in Saturday’s Ivy League opener game against Princeton.

Through the first half and early minutes in the second period of the game the score remained tied at 0-0, until Tigers’ leading scorer, Jeremy Colvin, broke the silence with a goal scored in the 53rd minute. Defender Sean McSherry sent a pass over to Colvin who beat a Big Green defender and sent his shot into the left side. 

Not long after, in the 62nd minute, junior Justin Donawa scored on a header off a deep pass from teammate Dawson McCartney, tying it up.

Neither team was able to find the back of the net again during regulation, although there were multiple attempts to. Dartmouth outshot Princeton 16 to 11 and had a total of 16 corner kicks which created multiple chances for scoring as well. 

In the fourth minute of the second overtime, 113 minutes into play, Donawa set up for a free kick and sent the ball into the Big Green players by the net. Wyatt Omsberg got a piece of it, bouncing it to Matt Danilack, who headed it into the net, ending the game. 

“We’re delighted with the result,” said head coach Chad Riley. “Princeton is a much better team than the results have shown, we knew that was going to be a hard game, obviously it took us to overtime. They are a very good team that really pushed us to our limits.

“I’m really proud of the entire group, they were focused and very driven to find a way to get a good result in our opening Ivy game. We’ll enjoy it for the night and get together and get back to work tomorrow.”

The home team’s defense held strong, blocking goal attempts, and goalkeeper Christopher Palacios grabbed one save. Danilack now has three goals on the season, Donawa has two and now five assists, McCartney tallied his third assist and Omsberg recorded his first.

The win improves Dartmouth to 6-2-0 on the season and 1-0-0 in the Ivy League, while Princeton falls to 1-5-2, 0-1-0 in conference play. 

The Big Green returns to action on Tuesday night, hosting Hofstra on Burnham Field at 7 p.m.