Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Skelly "Buzzer Beater" Sends Big Green Past Brown in OT

Article Image
"Buzzer beater" from Colin Skelly sends Dartmouth to OT victory in final game of 2012.      By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. - The Big Green's Colin Skelly (Wrightstown, Pa.) scored with .01 seconds left on the clock to send the Dartmouth men's soccer team to a 2-1 overtime win over Brown in a nationally-televised contest on Fox Soccer Channel at Burnham Field on Friday (Nov. 9) night.  The win gives Brown its first Ivy League loss of the season and keeps the Big Green in the hunt for a share of the Ivy League title with league-leader, Cornell.

The game looked as if it was headed to a second overtime when Dartmouth (9-7-0, 5-2-0 Ivy League) utilized a cross from senior Kevin Dzierzawski (Oakland Township, Mich.) landed in the box. The ball bounced around and Skelly, streaking into the box, caught it and put it past Brown's Sam Kernan-Schloss as time expired.

Brown (12-2-1, 4-1-2 Ivy League) entered the match as the lone Ivy League team without a loss and looking to clinch the automatic NCAA berth with a win and a Cornell tie or loss. The win gives Dartmouth a perfect Ivy League record at home for the second consecutive season and leaves Brown winless in Hanover dating back to the 2002 season.

The game was a game of momentum and the Bears opened the contest strong generating lots of scoring opportunities in the opening minutes, especially from the play of Thomas McNamara, who was all over the field.

McNamara and the Bears struck first in the 21st minute on a corner kick. McNamara placed the ball on the back post and Eric Robertson drilled the ball into the netting, barely giving Dartmouth goalkeeper, Noah Cohen (Johannesburg, South Africa) a chance to make a play on it.

The Bears goal seemed to jumpstart the Big Green offense and Dartmouth began generating more chances on the offensive side of the ball, utilizing quick restarts to catch the Bears in transition.

Andoni Georgiou (London, England) picked up the equalizer at the 43:22 mark. He connected with a ball from Eric Jayne (Hanover, N.H.) and went straight up the defense to tie the game just before the half.

The Big Green had multiple players on the scoresheet as 10 players recorded at least one shot.

The second half was a battle, as both teams looked for the go-ahead goal but thanks to exceptional defense on both sides, neither team found net in the second frame sending the game to overtime.

Dartmouth held a slim 14-13 advantage in shots while Brown took a 10-9 edge in corner kicks. Both goalkeepers were outstanding with Kernan-Schloss making four saves and Cohen turning away two.

Dartmouth will now wait to see if they are selected for an NCAA Tournament at-large bid. The Selection Show airs at 5:30 p.m., on Monday (Nov. 12).

Brown (12-2-3, 4-1-2 Ivy) vs. Dartmouth (9-7-0, 5-2-0 Ivy)
Date: Nov 09, 2012  Attendance: 2100, Weather: chilly, low 40s

Goals by period       1  2 OT  Tot
Brown...............     1  0  0 -  1
Dartmouth...........   1  0  1 -  2

1.  20:47 BRWN Robertson, Eric (McNamara, Thomas) - off cross to goal
2.  43:22 DART Georgiou, Andoni (Jayne, Eric) - up the middle to goal
3.  99:59 DART Skelly, Colln (unassisted)

Shots: Brown 13, Dartmouth 14
Saves: Brown 4 (Kernan-Schloss, Sam 4), Dartmouth 2 (Cohen, Noah 2)

Game on Fox Soccer Channel