Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Lucky Mkosana Finalist For Soccer News Net College Boot Award

Article Image
Lucky Mkosana     By John and Matt Risley
Related Links

HANOVER, N.H.- Dartmouth men's soccer forward Lucky Mkosana (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) is one of 37 finalists for the Soccer News Net College Boot Award, recognizing the men's college soccer Player of the Year.

Mkosana, the 2011 Ivy League Player of the Year, had a record -breaking season becoming Dartmouth's all-time leading scorer with 34 career goals, breaking a record that stood since the 1950s.  Mkosana also became Dartmouth's all-time points leader with 79 career points, breaking a record that stood since the 1980s. He led the Dartmouth offense with 21 points on 10 goals and one assist and spent time in the national rankings. Mkosana is currently ranked No. 22 in goals per game (0.63), No. 32 in total goals (10) and No. 40 in points per game (1.30). The Zimbabwe native, was named Most Valuable Offensive Player of the Dartmouth Classic and was Ivy League Player of the Week (Sept. 12).

The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. Nine additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations. Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player.

Voting began on Friday, November 18 and continues until December 23, and will be conducted on Big Apple Soccer, Chicagoland Soccer News, LA Soccer News, New England Soccer News, Philly Soccer News and Dallas Soccer News.

Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award while the remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six websites.

Dartmouth concludes the 2011 regular season with an 8-6-4 record after falling 1-0 to Providence  in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Big Green claimed the 2011 Dartmouth Classic title and earned its ninth Ivy League Championship and the Ivy League's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.