Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Men's Soccer Plays to Scoreless Tie With Brown, Wins Ivy Title

Article Image
Kevin Dzierzawski     By John and Matt Risley
Related Links

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Despite a combined 35 shots from both teams, neither Dartmouth or Brown could find the back of the net in a 0-0 double overtime tie in the regular season finale for both teams on Saturday night at Brown's Stevenson Field.

By virtue of a Columbia tie with Cornell later in the evening, Dartmouth claimed a share of the Ivy League title with the Bears and will receive the automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament.

In an evenly played, physical game the Big Green held a slim 18-17 shots advantage and dominated the shots in the overtime period, outshooting the Bears 6-2.  Dartmouth goalkeeper Noah Cohen (Johannesburg, South Africa) anchored the Dartmouth defense recording five saves in his sixth shutout of the season. The Big Green offense was led junior midfielder Kevin Dzierzawski (Oakland Township, Mich.) who had six shots, including four that reached the frame. Senior forward Lucky Mkosana (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) had four shots in the contest.

Dartmouth's (8-5-4, 4-1-2 Ivy League) offense looked like it was going to get something going in both the first and second overtime but just couldn't find a way around the Brown (10-4-3, 4-1-2 Ivy League) defense, settling for a tie in its final regular-season game.

Entering the second half deadlocked at 0-0, the Big Green started peppering shots at Brown goalkeeper, Sam Kernan-Schloss who made several outstanding saves in the contest. The Big Green had several opportunities, including point-blank shots from Mkosana and Dzierzawski midway through the second half which looked like might open the game up, but the Brown defense held.

Dzierzawski looked as if he was going to end the deadlock just minutes before the close of the firs half. After bringing the ball up the midfield, Dzierzawski ripped a shot from about 20 yards out that went just wide of the Brown net, keeping the game tied at 0-0 through the first half of play.

The Big Green opened the first half with several quick shots, including a shot from senior midfielder Aaron Gaide (Avon, Conn.) which forced Brown goalkeeper, Sam Kernan-Schloss to make a save just four minutes into the contest. Brown didn't waste time getting into their offense and also had two early shots although both shots went just wide of the Big Green net.

Brown's Evan Coleman connected with a header in the 13th minute of action that forced Cohen to make a play on the ball. The Bears had a chance midway through the half to get on the board after being awarded a free kick on the edge of the Dartmouth box that sailed just high and over the goal. Brown continued to threaten in the first half and had a real chance to get on the scoresheet with a header shot from TJ Popolizio that Cohen stretched out horizontally to save.

The Big Green will now wait for the 20111 NCAA Selection show. The NCAA men's soccer selection show airs Monday (Nov. 14) at 4:30 p.m. on