HANOVER, N.H. – A strong first and fourth quarter led No. 3 Yale to a 17-7 win over Dartmouth at Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green fell to 2-7 overall and 0-3 in Ivy League play, while the Bulldogs improved to 8-3 and 4-0.

Jack Korzelius and George Prince both ended the day with four points. Korzelius led with his four goals, while Prince had two of each. In net, Alex Burnley made eight saves while being saddled with the loss. He also led the team with seven ground balls. 

“I thought that, after Yale’s early run, our guys continued to play and fight,” head coach Brendan Callahan said, “but, ultimately, we played too much defense. I give credit to Yale. They are excellent at the X and we knew that coming in.

“Jack really stepped up in a big way to lead the group,” Callahan continued. “This is something we’ve talked about for a while and there is a reason the team asked him to be captain. He is finally getting a feel for this group and seeing what he’s capable of. And Alex was much better in net than a week ago, which was great to see. The biggest stuff we need to get better at is faceoffs. If we can give this type of effort every time, it will give us a good chance. I’m looking for us to clean up our execution in the middle of the field ahead of next weekend’s game at UMass Lowell.”

Yale’s first four shots resulted in four goals in the span of 1:20 to start the first quarter. Burnley found his stride and made some key saves and keep the visitors at bay for over 10 minutes, and Liam O'Connell had some promising chances, but the Bulldogs’ goalie kept Dartmouth out of the net. Two more Yale tallies made it a 6-0 contest heading to the second.

Dartmouth came out strong in the second, controlling all of the action until Yale’s first possession five minutes in. At 13:48, Prince got the Big Green on the board with his over-the-shoulder shot to cut the Bulldogs’ lead to five. Korzelius netted back-to-back goals within three minutes got Dartmouth back in the game, but three Yale markers gave the Bulldogs a 9-3 edge after two.

The score remained the same for the first five minutes of the third quarter until markers by Prince and Korzelius in 30 seconds pulled Dartmouth within four (9-5). Having shut out Yale for 15 minutes, the Bulldogs snuck one more past Burnley in the final minute to end the third. 

Yale dominated the fourth quarter, scoring seven unanswered goals in a nine-minute span to make it a 17-5 game. Dartmouth ended the Bulldogs’ streak when Korzelius netted his fourth of the afternoon, the Big Green’s only man-up tally of the day. Ben Martin added one more with 28 seconds to go to close scoring. 

The Big Green will be on the road for two in a row, starting with their final non-conference contest of the season against UMass Lowell on Tuesday.