Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Men's Lacrosse Rallies Late but Falls to No. 4 Cornell, 7-5

Article Image
Junior Nikki Dysenchuk scored three of the Big Green's six goals.     By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. — The Dartmouth men's lacrosse team outscored No. 4 Cornell, 4-1, in the final 19 minutes of the game on Saturday, but it wasn't enough with the Big Red earning a 7-5 victory at Scully-Fahey Field.

Cornell (7-1, 3-0 Ivy) took a 6-1 advantage with 5:24 left in the third quarter after Steve Mock scored his second goal of the game. The Big Green (2-5, 0-2 Ivy) cut the deficit to 6-3 after junior Nikki Dysenchuk (Darien, Conn.) scored twice off of assists from senior Kip Dooley (Minneapolis, Minn.).

The first of Dysenchuk's goals came with 3:59 left in the quarter. Dooley controlled the ball behind the cage and found a streaking Dysenchuk in front of the goal. After receiving the pass, the junior quickly redirected the ball past goalkeeper Andrew West for the score. With eight seconds remaining in the stanza and with a man-up advantage, Dooley and Dysenchuk ran almost the exact same play to pull Dartmouth within three heading into the fourth.

It took 6:23 into the fourth quarter for either team to score in the fourth, but sophomore Brendan Rotanz (Westport, Conn.) zipped a pass to Dooley who netted his sixth goal of the year to cut the lead to 6-4. After the goal, the Big Red switched out West at goalkeeper and brought in AJ Fiore. The strategy paid off with Fiore making three saves in the next five minutes to keep the lead at two.

After a Big Green turnover with just three minutes remaining, Max Van Bourgondien pushed the lead to 7-4 for Cornell with his ninth goal of the season. Dysenchuk scored his third goal of the game with 31 seconds left, but it wasn't enough with the Big Red holding on for a 7-5 victory.

Dartmouth took 24 shots in the contest with Cornell firing 34. Each team had 20 turnovers with the Big Red earning the edge in ground balls, 30-27. Dartmouth went 1-for-5 in man-up situations, while Cornell finished 2-for-7. The five goals marked a season low for the Big Green with the seven goals also being a season low for the Big Red.

Senior Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) made eight saves for Dartmouth, which moved him to eighth on the Big Green's all-time saves list with 444. He passed Andrew Dance ’99 who ended his career with 440. Andrew Goldstein ’05 is seventh all-time with 451 saves.

Rotanz scored the first goal of the game with 5:28 left in the first for his ninth goal of the season. After the Big Green held a 1-0 lead, Cornell registered a goal in the first, two in the second and three in the third before Dartmouth would put another mark on the scoreboard.

The Big Green have a two day break before traveling to Hofstra on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. game.