HANOVER, N.H. – Senior Mike Olentine scored 10 goals to break a Dartmouth men’s lacrosse single-game record and help lift his team to a 17-12 victory against visiting Holy Cross Tuesday afternoon at Scully-Fahey Field.

Playing in his final collegiate tilt, Olentine was an unstoppable force all afternoon, scoring five times in each half to break the program’s previous record of nine goals in a game set three times in the 1940’s and once in 1979.

His record-tying and record-setting tallies came just seven seconds apart as Christian Guinchard collected the ground ball after winning the faceoff and raced down field to set up Olentine for the double-digit marker with 3:29 left in regulation.

The Princeton, N.J., native’s total was one-shy of the Ivy League record of 11 held by Brown’s Bob Scalise (vs. UConn, 5/5/71) and Oliver Marti (vs. UNH, 4/21/93), while tying John Reese of Yale (vs. Army, 4/18/90) as the only other player to reach 10 in a single contest.

Olentine also added an assist for an 11-point afternoon, the fifth-best mark in Ivy history, just two shy of the conference record set by Dartmouth’s John Waters (2G/11A) vs. Penn in 1962.

“It’s fitting that Mike finishes his career with a game like that, because it’s something we knew he was capable of,” head coach Andy Towers said of his star player’s day. “He is a great young man who has been a four-year starter and a natural leader for this team since he came here.”

It wasn’t just the strong play of Olentine that helped Dartmouth (2-10) end its season on a high note. Sophomore goalkeeper Blair Friedensohn posted a career-high 21 saves in the game, including seven in the fourth quarter alone. He had 14 in each of the last two games to establish previous career-best figures, marks that now are seven back of his new single-game standard.

“I’m so happy for this whole team,” Towers said following the win. “They put in so much hard work all season that people didn’t see. They didn’t complain when things got tough, they just kept coming back and going to work every day. I credit the senior leadership with cultivating the type of mentality that never let things get too low in the locker room.

“I am going to miss this group of seniors,” Towers continued. “They came into this program with a win and they leave with a win four years later and I’m proud of the mark they have left here in Hanover.”

The Green and White raced out to a 6-0 lead in the first quarter before Holy Cross (3-12) finally got on the board with 1:04 left in the opening frame. Dartmouth built its lead to as much as seven in the opening half, but credit the Crusaders for not letting things get out of hand and keeping pace with the home team the rest of the way after the early hole it found itself in.

Freshman Wiley Osborne was the only other player to score multiple goals for the Big Green as he netted a pair in the win. Classmate Jack McCormick scored once and assisted on two more for a three-point game.

Don Stephan, KC Beard, Billy Heidt and Adam Philie all had one goal apiece as well, while Patrick Resch dished out two assists.

Not to be overlooked, Sean Wilkinson of Holy Cross scored three times and handed out four helpers for a seven-point game. The Crusaders also got four goals and five points from Clay Haarmann, while Terry McKenna netted a hat trick and four points in the losing effort.

A dominant display of offense from both sides resulted in Friendensohn’s high save total. At the other end of the field, Holy Cross goalkeeper Michael Ortlieb stopped an impressive 13 shots in being saddled with the defeat.

Dartmouth was 2-for-3 with the man-up opportunity. Tuesday’s visitors held slight advantages in both shots (55-54) and ground balls (44-40), while the Green committed four fewer turnovers (19-15).