HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth men’s tennis continues to shine in 2018, defeating Big Ten’s Minnesota, 5-2, at the Boss Tennis Center on Friday evening. The Big Green improved to 7-0, while the Gophers dropped to 2-3.
“I’m really proud of the guys for their effort in getting another great win over a strong Minnesota team,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We have a lot of respect for Minnesota, and I think they have a particularly strong team this year. We continue to be competitive and have chances to win at every spot up and down the lineup, and I think this is giving the guys a lot of confidence.
“Our challenge now is to quickly get ready for what will be another tough task on Sunday against a team from Rice that beat us last year, and Bryant, a team that has won their conference for at least four years in a row,” Drake continued. “We would like to thank everyone that came out to support the team, as we had a couple hundred people in the stands. The home crowd was huge tonight.”
As it has done in all seven matches this season, Dartmouth won the doubles point. Junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross got things started with a 6-2 victory at the No. 2 position, while No. 19 David Horneffer and Charlie Broom won the battle of the nationally ranked teams, taking down No. 26 Matic Spec and Felix Corwin, 6-3.
Freshman Peter Conklin gave the Green a 2-0 advantage with his 6-1, 7-5 victory over Marino Alpeza at No. 6 singles, which was followed by the Gophers’ first win of the day at the No. 4 position. Horneffer took down Spec, 7-6, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot and senior Ciro Riccardi clinched with his 7-6, 6-2 defeat of Josip Krstanovic at the No. 5 position. The last two singles matches went to three sets; Minnesota won at No. 1, while freshman Dan Martin defeated his first nationally ranked opponent, walking away with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 victory over No. 34 Stefan Milicevic.
Dartmouth will be back at Boss on Sunday to host Rice at 10 a.m. and Bryant at 3 p.m.
1) No. 19 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. No. 26 Spec/Corwin (Minn.), 6-3
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Krstanovic/Levin (Minn.), 6-2
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Milicevic/Alpeza (Minn.), 4-4, DNF
Order of finish: 2,1
1) Corwin (Minn.) def. Broom (Dartmouth), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2) Martin (Dartmouth) def. No. 34 Milicevic (Minn..), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Spec (Minn.), 7-6, 6-2
4) Ogilvy (Minn.) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-2
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Krstanovic (Minn.), 7-6, 6-2
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Alpeza (Minn.), 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 6,4,3,5,1,2