Related Links

Dartmouth (1-2) vs. Wagner (1-2)
Date: Saturday, March 3
Time: 3 p.m.
Location: Hanover, N.H. – Scully-Fahey Field
All-Time Series: Tied, 2-2
Live Stats

After playing two road games, Dartmouth men’s lacrosse will return to Scully-Fahey Field to host Wagner on Saturday. 

George Prince had a career day in the Big Green’s 17-11 loss to Sacred Heart last weekend, ending the game with seven points from a hat trick and four assists.

Ben Martin netted a trio of goals and added an assist for four points, while Matt Paul and Richie Loftus both had two points apiece. Trevor Ballantyne scored his first collegiate goal to end the game with one point.

In net, both Dartmouth goalies played exactly 30 minutes. Alex Burnley started things off, making five saves while being saddled with the loss. George Christopher made his way into the game in third, stopping six.

Wagner enters the weekend with the same record as Dartmouth after defeating Manhattan College (11-5) and falling to Lafayette (8-7) and Monmouth (17-4). Andrew Streilein leads the team with nine points (4G, 5A).

On March 4, 2017, the Big Green played their first overtime game in two years, falling to the Seahawks by a score of 7-6 (2OT) on the road. Jack Korzelius, Harlan Smart and Martin all ended the game with two points. Christopher played well, making 13 saves.

Both teams’ defense was on point in the first quarter, allowing a combined 10 shots in the first 15 minutes. It looked as if neither team would break through, but Wagner found the back of the net with just three seconds remaining to put the Seahawks ahead by one. 

The second was a lot more action-packed, with a total of five goals being scored. Halfway through, Wagner had a 3-0 edge, but an unassisted tally by Korzelius got Dartmouth on the board with 7:23 to go in the quarter (3-1). The Seahawks got their three-goal edge back, but Smart pulled the Big Green within two again with 21 ticks to go (4-2). Korzelius made it a 4-3 game three minutes into the third, only to have Wagner score twice in a row to put the Seahawks back ahead by three (6-3). 

Dartmouth found its stride in the fourth quarter, scoring a trio of goals to tie the score at 6-6. Martin got one five minutes in, and Jack Connolly followed that up with his first of the season a minute later (6-5). Martin’s second of the quarter came with 7:58 to go, tying the score. Eight shots were taken in the remaining eight minutes, but none made it past the goalies and, for the first time since a 2OT victory over Harvard in 2015, the Big Green went to overtime.

Twelve seconds in, Martin’s shot hit the post, setting the pace. Both teams took two shots, but just one was saved by Christopher, and the game continued. The first play of the second overtime period resulted in a goal. Fifty-two seconds in, Wagner’s Paul DeVita ended the game with his second of the afternoon.

In his rookie season, Prince remains first on the team with 11 points (4G, 7A), while Paul and Martin are tied for second with six apiece. Liam O’Connell leads with two of the team’s six man-up tallies, while Austin Meacham has a team-leading 11 ground balls and is first in faceoffs (8-17, .471).

Burnley has played in all three games and started two of them. In 117 minutes, he has made 19 saves while allowing 24 goals for a .442 save percentage and 12.24 goals against average. Christopher has played 62 minutes, has made nine saves and allowed 15 goals for a .375 save percentage and 14.44 goals against.

Live stats for the game against the Seahawks can be found on Fans who cannot make it on Saturday can purchase a subscription to the Ivy League Network (ILN) to watch.

After this weekend, Dartmouth will be on the road for three straight contests and will not return to Scully-Fahey until the end of the month. Next up, the Green will head to New York to face St. John’s on Saturday, March 17.