HANOVER, N.H. – For the second game in a row, Dartmouth women’s hockey went to overtime, tying Union, 2-2, on Senior Day at Thompson Arena on Saturday. The Big Green moved to 5-17-3 and 3-14-3, while the Dutchwomen are now 7-20-5 and 5-13-2. 

Junior Alyssa Baker scored Dartmouth’s first goal and senior Hailey Noronha netted the second. Juniors Tess Bracken and Kate Landers, and freshman Linda Essery all had a point from an assist. Along with Noronha, fellow seniors Morgan Turner and Brooke Ahbe – who has not donned her green and white jersey since last season – started their final game at Thompson. Junior Christine Honor was huge in net, making 46 saves.

“That was pretty much a carbon copy of last night,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “Playing under desperate circumstances is really helpful for our kids. They did a lot of really good things out there, and those are the type of games that you learn a lot from. Every little thing matters in a tied game. That was a really good effort from everyone in two games this weekend. We got a little extra hockey out of it, which is always good. You can never underestimate the importance of a tie, because that’s two big points for us.”

Dartmouth had a number of good chances early in the first, but it was Union that (seemingly) scored first at the 14-minute mark. After extended review, though, the goal was waved off and it went back to a scoreless game. The Big Green outshot the Dutchwomen, 10-8, in the fairly quiet first period.

Union was unlucky in the penalty department to start the second, giving Dartmouth 30 seconds of 5-on-3 play. Sophomore Christina Rombaut had a good opportunity to get the Green on the board following a nice feed from Bracken, but her shot went wide. The Dutchwomen scored at 7:21 to take a 1-0 lead, but Baker’s tip in front of the net at 13:12 tied things at one-apiece. 

Freshman Jennifer Costa had a great shot to start the third and when it was saved by goalie Coco Francis, Turner tried her luck with a snipe of a rebound, but Francis got to that one too. Union capitalized on two coinciding Dartmouth penalties and scored its second at 3:11, but the Big Green answered less than two minutes later. Bracken returned to the ice and immediately stole the puck, taking a chance and being denied by Francis. Noronha got the rebound and made it a 2-2 game. Honor had some great saves in the final minutes of the third to keep the game tied. 

For the second time this weekend, great saves by both goalies denied the game winner in regulation, so the teams went to overtime.  Union had an 8-4 shot advantage, but Honor had some tough stops to ensure the Dutchwomen stayed out of the net.

Dartmouth will close the 2017-18 season on the road next weekend against Clarkson and St. Lawrence.