ITHACA, N.Y. – Dartmouth women’s hockey were defeated by No. 6/6 Cornell, 2-0, at Lynah Rink on Friday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 4-11-1 and 2-8-1 in ECAC Hockey play, while the Big Red improved to 10-6-1 and 7-4-0. 

Junior goalie Christine Honor had a strong performance, making 29 saves and ending the game with a .935 save percentage. Senior Morgan Turner and junior Tess Bracken led the Green offensively with three shots apiece.

“We’ve elevated our game quite a bit in the course of the year,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said after the game. “We don’t have a ton to show for it, but our kids are competing really well. We have become really resilient. We come right back hard after a goal. It doesn’t necessarily show in the scorebook, but we have matched up against really strong teams. I am really proud of our effort tonight. We battled hard. We didn’t muster a lot of opportunities, but we did have them back on their heels in the third. 

“We couldn’t get equalizer, but we stayed with it,” Marsh continued. “My message to them is the same: every shift we take is significant. We are getting better and, at some point, it will show up in the scorebook. We’ll keep plugging away until then.”

In a period dominated by Cornell, Honor was huge in net for Dartmouth, making 13 saves to keep the score at 0-0 heading to the second. Paired with the Big Green’s defense, the visitors played a good first 20 minutes. With under 10 minutes to go and a Big Red player charging the net, senior Hailey Noronha took away her centering feed with a beautiful sliding block to keep the game tied.

Honor started the second the same way she ended the first, with a handful of great saves, but the Big Red got one past her after almost 30 minutes of scoreless play. The Green found an offensive surge after that tally, testing Cornell goalie Marlene Boissonnault a few times, but were turned away. 

Dartmouth had a few more chances in the third, but none that Boissonnault could not handle. Having gone over 50 minutes without a penalty, the Big Green committed two in the final 10 minutes of play, the second of which resulted in Cornell’s second goal of the afternoon. With two minutes to play, a Cornell breakaway looked as if it would yield another Big Red goal, but Bracken got there just in time to take the chance away.

The Red outshot the Green, 31-17, and went 1-for-2 on the power play while holding Dartmouth to 0-for-3. Like every game, the Big Green did well in blocked shots, ending up with 10 to Cornell’s six.

Dartmouth will return to action on Saturday to take on No. 4/4 Colgate at 3 p.m.