HANOVER, N.H. – Freshman Quin Foreman scored with 1:23 remaining in regulation and junior and team captain Kevan Kilistoff scored the overtime game winner as the Dartmouth men’s hockey team knocked off Rensselaer, 6-5, in a thrilling victory Saturday night.

In a game that the Big Green (5-9-2, 3-5-1 ECAC) led 4-1 early in the second period, it took a goal late in regulation and an OT winner to come away with the two league points.

It didn’t take the Engineers (3-15-3, 2-7-1) long to chip away at the deficit and tie the game once they got their scoring touch, notching three goals from Will Reilly, Brady Wiffen and Emil Ohrvall in 2:26 of play midway through the second.

A Max Resisinger score with 2:49 remaining in regulation seemed destined to give visiting RPI the go-ahead marker that would prove to be the final score of the night.

However, with the goalie pulled for the extra skater, it was the freshman Foreman with his second of the weekend and third in the last four games that helped pull the Green and White even again, setting up the overtime drama.

After both teams had opportunities to net the winner, it was an innocent-looking point shot from rookie defenseman Brendan Less that would change direction at the top of the circle and proved to be the deciding factor in a wild league contest. Less’ wrister was meant for traffic, but hitting the oncoming defender near the point and then Kilistoff’s stick created too much movement for Rensselaer goalie Chase Perry to stop.

The initial trajectory of the puck seemed headed for the near post, but after hitting two objects en route, the shot settled into the back of the netting near the far post, bulging the twine so everyone in Thompson Arena could see the game’s final result with 50 seconds showing on the overhead scoreboard.

“We work on deflecting pucks in practice all the time,” Killistoff said. “I just wanted to get in that shooting lane and set a screen for Less. My hope once I got in there was to make the puck more difficult for the goalie to react. Whether that’s just with making it hard for him to see or by getting a piece of it, I don’t care.”

Dartmouth carried a 2-0 lead into the first intermission thanks to goals from freshman Matt Baker and senior Corey Kalk, the second of which came on the power play. Will Graber scored 28 seconds into the second period with linemate and fellow sophomore Shane Sellar notching the fourth Big Green tally after Viktor Liljegren had finally broken through for the visitors two minutes beforehand.

Sellar finished the night with a game-high three points on the score and a pair of helpers. Defensemen Connor Yau and Tim Shoup both had a pair of assists, while Foreman also had a two-point night, notching an assist in addition to his late-game goal.

Devin Buffalo stopped 19 in earning the win, while Perry was saddled with the loss after coming into the game in the second period. Linden Marshall started the game in net for the Engineers, but was pulled after allowing four in 25:52. Perry was strong in relief, not allowing a score until the Foreman goal and then again late in overtime.

The Dartmouth penalty kill was only called upon twice on Saturday, but was perfect both times. The home team’s power play was 1-for-3 thanks to the first-period point shot from Kalk.

The OT win was the first for the Green since beating Yale in Game 1 of the 2016 ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals in New Haven on Mar. 11, 2016.

The Big Green remain at home for the third straight weekend when they play host to Quinnipiac and Princeton on Friday and Saturday nights. Both games are slated for 7:05 p.m. puck drops and will be carried live on the Ivy League Network.