PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Cedric Kuakumensah’s dunk with 1:06 to play in overtime proved to be the winning points as Brown outlasted visiting Dartmouth at the Pizzitola Sports Center on Friday night, 84-83. Steven Spieth led four Bears (8-17, 3-8 Ivy) in double figures with 21 points while freshman Evan Boudreaux was one of five players for the Big Green (9-16, 3-8 Ivy) to hit double digits with 20 points to go with a team-high nine rebounds.

Dartmouth had two opportunities to take the lead after Kuakumensah’s slam, but senior Kevin Crescenzi missed a pair of free throws after hauling in a big offensive rebound, and freshman Guilien Smith, who had drained two three-pointers in the extra period, could not his driving layup to fall as time expired.

Brown was able to force overtime thanks to J.R. Hobbie dialing long distance with 7.9 seconds to play after missing his first three shots from behind the arc. Although Dartmouth head coach Paul Cormier was calling for time, no one heard and the Big Green turned the ball over to end regulation.

The Bears took a three-point lead in overtime by hitting 3-of-4 foul shots before Smith tied the game with his first triple in over a month and first in Ivy play this season. A minute and a half later, Smith launched another trifecta to knot the score at 82 with 2:11 to play.

Crescenzi then gave Dartmouth the lead by converting the second of two free throws, but Brown reclaimed the lead after an offensive rebound gave the Bears a second chance, and they capitalized with Kuakumensah’s dunk, Brown’s lone field goal in overtime.

The final statistics were just about as even as the score. Both teams had 35 rebounds, 13 turnovers and eight steals. The Bears shot a little worse from the floor than Dartmouth, hitting 42.9 percent (24-of-56) overall and 32.1 percent (9-of-28) from behind the arc, but converted 77.1 percent (27-of-35) at the charity stripe. The Big Green, meanwhile, knocked down 49.1 percent (28-of-57) of their field goals and 54.5 percent (6-of-11) from downtown, but just 70.0 percent (21-of-30) at the line, including 2-of-6 in overtime.

The game certainly didn’t begin the way Dartmouth would have liked as Brown ripped off the first 10 points of the night, six coming on a pair of Spieth three-pointers. It took more than five minutes for the Big Green to finally dent the scoreboard, but they did so in thunderous fashion and sophomore Miles Wright, who finished the game with 14 points, emphatically slammed the ball, as if to punctuate that the game was now beginning in earnest.

The dunk triggered an 11-point Dartmouth run, capped by Boudreaux’s first of three triples on the night to give the Green their first lead at the 10:36 mark. Kuakumensah briefly put the Bears back on top with a bucket, but a Boudreaux three-point play sparked another nine-point spurt for a 20-12 Dartmouth lead.

Spieth dialed up two more long balls to close the gap to two at 22-20, and Brown had an opportunity to possibly tie the game before halftime when it had the ball with 35 seconds left while trailing, 30-27. But freshman Guilien Smith stripped the ball from Blackmon and led the unrelated sophomore Cameron Smith down the court for the first career dunk for the 6-1 sophomore for a five-point advantage at the break.

The second half began like the first as Brown rattled off 10 straight points before the Big Green got it in gear, once again thanks to Wright as he scored three points the hard way. The difference remained between two and six points in the Bears favor until senior Connor Boehm scored an easy layup to get Dartmouth within one at 44-43 with 12 minutes to go.

Brown then scored 11 of the next 12 points, beginning and ending with three-pointers by Tavon Blackmon and Kuakumensah, for the largest lead of the night for either side at 55-44. Wright capped a six-point spurt with another dunk, and the Big Green still trailed by four after Spieth layup with 4:36 to play when Boudreaux cranked up his third trey of the game to make it a 61-60 Bear lead.

Brown suffered a setback when Spieth fouled out with 3:31 still showing, and a Boehm three-pointer a minute later finally put Dartmouth back in the lead at 67-66. Layups by Guilien Smith and Cameron Smith boosted the advantage to four at 73-69 with 29 seconds remaining, but Kuakumensah drilled a long ball. After Boudreaux sank two free throws, Hobbie launched his game-tying three to force overtime.

Spieth finished the game 6-of-7 from the floor while hitting 4-of-5 from beyond the arc. Blackmon tallied 19 by hitting 5-of-11 field goals with a trifecta and 8-of-10 at the foul line while playing 43 minutes. Kuakumensah added 17 to go with a game-high 11 rebounds for his 11th double-double of the year, and Obi Okolie chipped in 16 thanks to a perfect 9-of-9 showing at the line, four of which came in overtime.

Boudreaux was 6-of-12 from the floor while hitting all three of his three-point attempts, plus sank 5-of-6 free throws. Boehm scored 17 on 7-of-10 shooting with a triple, while the Smiths each had 10 points to go with Wright’s 14. It marked the first game the Big Green had five players score at least 10 against a Division I opponent just one day shy of a year.

Dartmouth will play its final road game of the year on Saturday night at Ivy-leading Yale (19-6, 10-1 Ivy). The game is scheduled to tip off at 8 p.m. and will be televised by American Sports Network and simulcast online through the Ivy League Digital Network. Check your local listings for a channel carrying the game.

Notes: This was Dartmouth’s first overtime game since falling to Cornell on Feb. 13, 2015 at home, 81-72 ... the last Big Green overtime victory was on Dec. 19, 2014 against Northern Illinois, 58-55 ... Guilien Smith’s three-pointers were his first since Jan. 16 and first in Ivy League play ... Boudreaux has led Dartmouth in scoring for 12 straight games and in rebounding for the last 10.